Vanity unit spur (onsuite) from none RCD light circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ofcourse notifiable as its an on-suite, isn't anything special locations now notifiable additions or otherwise, correct me if am wrong 

rcbo easy option surprise should really have asked how easy is it to rejig a half and half board to become a 2 way RCD board, just for piece of mind for customer 

cheers all that have attempted to help

Why convert it to a dual rcd board.  That doesn't make sense!

Scratch previous the extractor reposition is notifiable, not the lighting spur

why not convert? So all circuits currently not protected would be protected?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah cheers I get that, was only passing on concerns of customer and wondered how easy it would be ?

I.e, daisy chain power from existing to new RCD and chop up buzz bar to suit ?

Jona ...I've been in the trade since Elvis  was de-mobbed from the US Army but you're losing me .

What does ..." Daisy chain power from existing to new RCD and chop off bus bar to suit "  mean . 

Bathroom electrics need to be RCD protected .....soooooooooooooo....... do whatever you are doing ...then fit an RCD .

power currently supplied from isolator to unprotected circuits via buzzbar

Can I put an RCD after isolater and simply fit a new buzz bar to suit new longer length

by daisy chain I just mean looping cable from isolater to new RCD then on to existing RCD

im confused as to why this is so confusing 

If the job is purely to get this vanity unit light working then the most practical logical and cost effective solution would be to fit an RCBO for the circuit that needs altering.

Do the rest of the work..

Test your circuit...

fill out your MWC..

get paid,  move on.

If you want to start butchering up a CU into a DIY version of a dual RCD board then I suspect you really need to start testing ALL of the circuits that this RCD will be protecting..

More labour more cost...

More expense for the customer.

In an ideal world you would never have multiple circuits protected by 1 RCD...

as it is not the most convenient when a fault on one circuit wipes out four others and its late Sunday afternoon..

Customer can't reset it as its a N-E fault..

Electrician can't get out till the morning so customer has no power on half his board overnight...

Individual RCBOs are the far better solution...

Much more inconvenience minimised..  exactly what the regs like us to do.

So a single fault can only wipe out the faulty circuit alone!

Thanks for that, a lot more eloquent than I could explain (see previous 20 odd posts)

ill use use your example to explain to customer and just maybe leave out the get paid move on bit :)   

Cheers

Col

No obligation to start changing plastic CU,s to metal, Slippers .  ( Not in my interpretation of the Regs anyway )

I have a few maxims I try to follow when working ;-

Keep it simple.

Don't over engineer stuff.

If it 'aint broke don't fix it.

Quickest way is a straight line .

power currently supplied from isolator to unprotected circuits via buzzbar

Can I put an RCD after isolater and simply fit a new buzz bar to suit new longer length

by daisy chain I just mean looping cable from isolater to new RCD then on to existing RCD

im confused as to why this is so confusing 
Jona please excuse me, hate to be pedantic but its Busbar  not Buzzbar .  ( Yes in Birmingham we have double decker buzzes but thats different)

Sometimes when over complicating jobs , we get confused , as in why is he doiing that , theres no need  etc.

Ffs now it's spelling lol, I'm sorry I'm also from Brum, that's a good enough excuse in any situation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Jona , no offence meant ...just needed to point it out.   As a Brummie I too say it as Buzzbar   but write it as Busbar .

We suffer enough for our stupid accent but we don't need to be buying "Loit fittings"  etc.   ;)

It is strange .  As a child I thought it was another of my Mother's many sayings , then realized it was a common local saying .

The nearest meaning I have heard is that it refers to the direction of Stratford  , where  Shakespear's mother lived.