Was Economy 7 now isn't?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its the newer version I believe, its one meter with one lcd display. You press a button to cycle between the rates.

When you say the two other storage heaters were replaced with convectors did you do the job, or an electician ? The reason i ask this is, its possible the electrician linked out the consumer unit, so as to make the old storage heater points 24hr, not realising the last storage heater was still in use.

The convection heaters were removed and their fuses taken out of the main consumer unit so they have no power to them at all, the replacements were provided on 13amp plug in sockets and don't use economy 7 at all.

Well, I will see what British Gas say when they have checked the meter. I agree with what you are saying Bager but that wouldn't happen from just disconnecting and reconnecting the storage heater would it? If I remove the appropriate fuse from the consumer unit (from the economy 7 side) then it isolates it, so it is definitely connected to the correct part of the consumer unit. So all things point to either a problem with the consumer unit(which hasn't been touched) or the meter.

The convection heaters were removed and their fuses taken out of the main consumer unit so they have no power to them at all, the replacements were provided on 13amp plug in sockets and don't use economy 7 at all.
You have missed my point. From your pic this could not have happened. Were the 13A plug & sockets you mention already there, are were the old switches/spurs replaced when the old heaters removed ?

Well, I will see what British Gas say when they have checked the meter. I agree with what you are saying Bager but that wouldn't happen from just disconnecting and reconnecting the storage heater would it? If I remove the appropriate fuse from the consumer unit (from the economy 7 side) then it isolates it, so it is definitely connected to the correct part of the consumer unit. So all things point to either a problem with the consumer unit(which hasn't been touched) or the meter.
From that comment i still think my original diagnosis is correct. Someone has linked out the C/U internally. The time control could still be stuck on on, but that would be unusual.

You have missed my point. From your pic this could not have happened. Were the 13A plug & sockets you mention already there, are were the old switches/spurs replaced when the old heaters removed ?
Thanks for the help Slip+Slap

The heaters were just plugged into spare sockets on the ring main that were already there, not hard wired. The old fuse spurs are still on the wall with nothing connected to them which used to have the storage heaters connected.

The Consumer Unit was untouched, I can take a pic if that would help, not sure the cover has been off in a while.

Hello Daddydisco welcome to the maddest bunch of sparks on the interweb..

but deep down they are very friendly and more often than not..

reasonably intelligent and coherent.. :p :p:p

unless these have been consumed... Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink:D

I have noticed a problem with the meter. With economy seven you have 2 readings on the meter, the economy seven or the night low cost meter has not moved since around summer time. So I think this may be related. Presumably as the cheaper rate has not been moving then I have been paying full rate for everything for the last 6 months.
IMHO that is your problem!

was any electrical work done 6 months ago?

A common set up can be...

Supply Fuse

eco7 meter (2 readings) (an associated timer switch to trigger which Kwh rate is applied)

Either 1 fuse box supplying everything

or 2 fuse boxes .. One just supplying Night storage heaters. other rest of property

ALL electricity used during the night should be charged at economy 7 rate...

whether storage heaters OR your immersion heater OR running the washing machine at night etc..

so the night meter should still have moved even if just a little cuz some lights are on?

Storage heaters typically had NO in built timers so rely on the timer clock at the meter to switch power to a separate leg of the meter tails.

Any other appliance with their own built in timers can control themselves..

e.g. immersion with 24hr clock, washing machine / dishwasher delay start program.. modern storage heater with own time clock!

I am guessing, that your fuse box has two lots of tails onto the two main switches, the left hand one should be via the time clock that should trigger your meter...

Unless you heater has a clock on it? ?:|

Thanks for the info Special Location. The night rate hasn't moved a jot, we have an immersion heater which has its own timer but the lights and the t.v are often on past midnight so the night/low rate meter definitely should have moved. I have left on the storage heater overnight a few times manually switching on and off at the fused spur so its not on 24 so I am definitely using electric through the night.

I just checked the on-line manual for the storage heater and no sign of any timer or clock which I didn't think there would be else it wouldn't have been wired into economy seven in the first place.

"I am guessing, that your fuse box has two lots of tails onto the two main switches, the left hand one should be via the time clock that should trigger your meter..."

Looking at it that sounds about right, I have had no electrical work done. I took out the old storage heaters myself that's about it.

You haven't changed electric supplier have you and they have come out and stuck you on bog standard day rate? NOT eco 7 & day rate,

Have a look at your last bill.. Is the economy 7 rate listed?

i.e.

If you are on Eco 7, dual meter, normally, although night rate is cheaper.. your Day rate is slightly higher than 'bog standard day rate'!

Whereas if you never had eco 7 dual meter, the rate throughout the day is actually somewhere in between the above two rates.

** note you still get the variable bit of "x" kwhrs at "a" then rest at "b"

so what I am getting at is..

does your bill say you should be getting eco 7?

or have you been put onto standard 24hr day rates. :)

Basically as Slipshod pointed out..

either something somewhere has been manually changed!

and maybe you just hadn't noticed earlier?

or the nighttime switch bit has gone belly up....

but if it was perm on.. your rate 2 on you meter would be changing?

and if perm off your heater wouldn't be on! :| ?:|

In the words of Mr Spock..

Its illogical captain!

Thanks for the help Slip+SlapThe heaters were just plugged into spare sockets on the ring main that were already there, not hard wired. The old fuse spurs are still on the wall with nothing connected to them which used to have the storage heaters connected.

The Consumer Unit was untouched, I can take a pic if that would help, not sure the cover has been off in a while.
Ok, no need for an internal picture then. Looks like i was wrong (again) Blushing

You haven't changed electric supplier have you and they have come out and stuck you on bog standard day rate? NOT eco 7 & day rate,Have a look at your last bill.. Is the economy 7 rate listed?

i.e.

If you are on Eco 7, dual meter, normally, although night rate is cheaper.. your Day rate is slightly higher than 'bog standard day rate'!

Whereas if you never had eco 7 dual meter, the rate throughout the day is actually somewhere in between the above two rates.

** note you still get the variable bit of "x" kwhrs at "a" then rest at "b"

so what I am getting at is..

does your bill say you should be getting eco 7?

or have you been put onto standard 24hr day rates. :)

Its illogical captain!
I haven't changed my supplier for about three years, so it's not that. I am thinking you might be onto something with the rates though, my bill does show both and even their 'actual' read of the two rates but it sounds like there is a mix up somewhere. I got a new meter installed about 1.5 years ago a new fangled digital one, with a cycle display - not sure if the timer is built in or separate. Hopefully British Gas's check off the meter tomorrow might throw up a few answers.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated definitely as advertised the most helpful and friendly forum on the web!

Well quick update for you all. The Siemens engineer came round from British Gas had a look at the meter - said the time has frozen on the LCD and fitted a new meter. He was here for a good 10mins, so from me starting off blaming the Dog, it was a faulty meter.

Thanks for all the replies and the help. :) Applaud Smiley

Just have to speak to British Gas now about how they are going to sort my bills out, I can see it taking allot of letters and allot of phone calls. :z

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated definitely as advertised the most helpful and friendly forum on the web!
Just have to speak to British Gas now about how they are going to sort my bills out, I can see it taking allot of letters and allot of phone calls. :z
That is good to hear Daddydisco, both that you have resolved your problem and that the forum is 'as advertised'. All we can do now is wish you well with sorting your bill out. Do come back soon, you do not need to have a problem to be welcome here.

Doc H.

most newer meters dont have a timer in them - they have a radio controlled siwtch to tell it when to change to off peak/on peak
Sorry to say they do because I had mine changed by BG and it has the time, and date displayed but does not change the time when BST starts and ends.

As it is a dual tariff meter use the washing machine in the night when its cheaper.