Wet room zones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluetobits

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has opinions on wet room zones.  Been asked to quote to install a hairdryer in a wet room in a commercial office block (proper thing with a handset on a hose) IPX4.

The room is quite large, don't know exact measurements as not been to look yet. 

Anyway, the shower hose is demountable and somewhere in the region of 6' long.

Does zone 1 extend from the shower head mounting plate on the wall,  the electric shower unit water outlet where the hose connects, or should it be determined by length of hose? 

Had a lengthy discussion with my manager today who says, "it'll be fine, it's going next to the hand dryer!" 

Any help appreciated. 

the zone is normally an area around the shower, if the hand dryer is out of the zone putting the hair dryer alongside it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Phil, my concern is that just because someone has put a hand dryer there, doesn't mean it should be, given the length of the shower hose. Need to get a tape measure out, just not 100% sure where to take measurement from. 

Zone 1 is the height of shower or 2.25 mtrs whichever is higher, and 1.2 mtrs out horizontally from the centre of the shower, reg701.32.2

It doesn't mention shower hoses in the byb, it just illustrates a fixed shower.

So it's more of a judgement call then. 

Is someone likely to be stood with hose fully extended, soap in their eyes waving it round like a nutter?

So it's more of a judgement call then. 

Is someone likely to be stood with hose fully extended, soap in their eyes waving it round like a nutter?
Yes, basically, if it were me then I'd measure the distance from the shower bracket and take it from there, after all you could end up with a massive distance otherwise, what's to stop someone unscrewing the spray head and treating the pipe like a garden hose? just use best judgement and common sense.

Does zone 1 extend from the shower head mounting plate on the wall,  the electric shower unit water outlet where the hose connects, or should it be determined by length of hose?

depends if there is a tray or not, but there are multiple drawings in 701

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no tray. Checked 701 but only saw references to fixed water outlet, hence the confusion with a demountable hose.

Cheers Steps,  it is a bit ambiguous, especially if you're nearing the limits with measurements. Hopefully this won't be 

Even in a wet room, a shower will usually have a glass screen or curtain delinating the edge of the "shower"  It would be very unusual to just have a shower in the corner of a room with no screen at all.

Even in a wet room, a shower will usually have a glass screen or curtain delinating the edge of the "shower"  It would be very unusual to just have a shower in the corner of a room with no screen at all.
Depends on the building, if you think about it swimming baths don't usually have screens, nor showers in schools, at least the last time I was in one they didn't. But if it was in say a suite of offices then yes you'd certainly expect some privacy screen,you wouldn't generally want to be stood soaping your bits while someone else is doing their hair or something would you?

This is actually a fairly large disabled wc with toilet at one side and shower at other. All lino floor and a gully in corner for shower drain. 

It's not unusual at all. I have done quite a few wet rooms that have no delineation. A lot of the time it is only meant for one person so no screen is needed, if you are in the shower no-one else is generally in the room.

obvious answer is mount hair-dryer as far from shower as possible. I would also ask exactly what level of people will be using the wet room, ie you need to risk assess users. If they are total fruit cakes.....

obvious answer is mount hair-dryer as far from shower as possible. I would also ask exactly what level of people will be using the wet room, ie you need to risk assess users. If they are total fruit cakes.....
That's like asking if you can ignore the presence of RCDs as I am an instructed person so I don't need them in my own house 

The rules at present are ridiculous,