What exactly is this ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to quote a rewire today and while taking to the customer he said that his son, for want of something better to do , had just completed a Part P course, he had no previous electrical knowledge.

Then the customer added that he found he must join an "Electrician's Scheme" so he is'nt an electrician yet and it was very expensive!!!

Now I couldn't be bothered to go into all this with the customer as he had some pre-convictions but I thought as I drove away ...... what the hell kind of course does a non electrical type bloke do thats called Part P and what are the expectations from it ?

Or to get to the point , what is a Part P course ??

Could be the "EAL Domestic Installer" course which sometimes get called the "Part P" course. I believe it is supposed to teach/advise on those parts of electrical work which are directly relevant to the building regs. You get ten marks if you can spell your name properly at the top of the paper.

I think one of the other requirements is to be able to wire a 13A plug properly. :D

NO

this is a proper course that is advertise as become an electrician,

Deke, this is the fabled 5WW of which you have heard so much about.

do a course, join a scam, and you're in.!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:20 ----------

holy ****,

4DW now! :eek:

If any of you had actually taken the Part P EAL course then you would know that wiring a plug comes WELL after tea break in the first lesson! Before that you get to strip the flex!

flex.jpg

plug.jpg

(And, YES, a long time ago now I did do this course, 35wks, 2 evenings a week, 6 to 9pm. TBH I had so many questions at the end of it I signed and did the the 2330 and 2382...........now I've got even more :) ).

;)

This is a joke .....right ???? :C ---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:17 ----------

4 days ??? And why are the guys in the photo working on an industrial panel of some sort and I didn't know we had to wear hard hats when house bashing !!
The write up on that NICEIC page says that a householder, on completing the course , will become a competent person and can notify work to local authority .

So , let me get this right , in 4 days any numpty can stump up the

And people actually pay to be told that Sh**e,

It begger belief

The write up on that NICEIC page says that a householder, on completing the course , will become a competent person and can notify work to local authority . So , let me get this right , in 4 days any numpty can stump up the

As I said in my previous post I did the 35wk course. In reality I guess that equates to about 27 full days as in the "5WW". I do think it is better done over a longer period personally. What was interesting to me was that to do my Level 3 2330 I had to change colleges so was the "outsider" in with lads who had been learning together for a couple of years. No problems on that score everyone was sound. BUT when we got talking and I mentioned I'd done Part P a few of the others said they had, but the 5 day (NOT 5 WEEK) courses. It was TBH telling. Had some guys talking of "30mA MCBS" and "6A RCDs". I just kept quiet................

define funny?

I have some funny friends already! :|

---------- Post Auto-Merged 11th August 2012 at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was made 10th August 2012 at 23:44 ----------

As I said in my previous post I did the 35wk course. In reality I guess that equates to about 27 full days as in the "5WW". I do think it is better done over a longer period personally. What was interesting to me was that to do my Level 3 2330 I had to change colleges so was the "outsider" in with lads who had been learning together for a couple of years. No problems on that score everyone was sound. BUT when we got talking and I mentioned I'd done Part P a few of the others said they had, but the 5 day (NOT 5 WEEK) courses. It was TBH telling. Had some guys talking of "30mA MCBS" and "6A RCDs". I just kept quiet................
Well, I think thats really starting to show now,

:shakehead

I cannot believe that EDIT England and Wales can allow something like this to occur. How can / where was your representives when - your trade got sold out.

Honestly i am struggling to understand the logic behind this acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF do we bother, seems just lately with all these idiots undercutting us I'd be better off working in TESCO!!!

My 19yr old daughter works there and I swear she's earnt more this week than me. rant over.....

define funny?I have some funny friends already! :|

---------- Post Auto-Merged 11th August 2012 at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was made 10th August 2012 at 23:44 ----------

Well, I think thats really starting to show now,

:shakehead
I seem to remember the 2330 lecturer asking one lad something on the lines of how had he got to Level 3 if he didn't know the difference between an mcb and rcd................I got the feeling though that for a lot of the lecturers teaching was Easy Street! I'll dig out some of the carp teaching material we got I think in our second year of the 2330 where they gave the WRONG answer sheets to math questions. Happened time and time again. There was a half hearted "Oh, make a note and we'll tell the course provider!" but it never happened. Maybe they were just typos but you have to wonder who proof reads it if I was picking it up. BTW the course material was by B & B Training Associates..............

One guy on the EAL Part P was allowed to sit one on line exam SIX TIMES (might have only been 5)............

I cannot believe that EDIT England and Wales can allow something like this to occur. How can / where was your representives when - your trade got sold out.Honestly i am struggling to understand the logic behind this acceptance.
The answer Jopo is that this is Britain , where nonsense occurs on a daily basis.

We are not consulted or listened to.

We have to do as we are told by Europe .

We were ordered to change our cable colour codes to match Europe. ( Confusion will reign here for the next 100 years)

We are not organised as many of us are individually self employed and are treated like kangaroo dung .

Regulations are changed to raise revenue .

Don't even get me started on immigration !!!

Why do you think we all want to come to Oz M8 ???

And how we got more Olympic medals than Australia is beyond me !!! :Applaud :C :C:tongue in cheek:tongue in cheek But Fair Dinkum Cobber theres massive respect here for how you run your country.

i am grateful that our system does not even look like changing from the status quo. you want to do electrical work. do an apprenticeship. we do have restricted licenses which can be of a concern sometimes.

regarding the olympics, it is the home nation thing. we did well at the sydney olympics and i think greece excelled at the athens olympics with 6 medals
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
. i thought you guys did great. bout time the rest of the nation took a bit of ticker from your cricketers.:worship