What sat nav do you guys use?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Looking to get my self a new sat nav for xmas

Cant decide what to go for though. There are so many on the market.

I know tom tom seem to be the leading brand but im unsure at the minute.

Done some reading online, and the nav mans are getting some brilliant reviews.

Whats every one else use? and what you think of it...

I've always used TomTom for the last 6 or so years, from v3 on my PDA up to the new One series. I've used others in the past as well, that other people have had in the vehicle, and I always find myself slightly frustrated with it for one reason or another. Some have a lot less intuitive menu system\address finder etc..., some aren't so good on the mapping\directing once you're going and make no sense, not much use when navigating Birmingham city centre in rush hour! Depends how much you use it I suppose, if it's for occasional use then you might find a cheaper system to work quite well. I use mine a lot, and I'd be quite literally lost without it. I could manage with a different one from time to time if I had to but I don;t think I could use another one as much as I do the TomTom.

Another reason for using TomTom is that I can keep the software and mapping up to date on any version of my device quite easily.

I Have a Becker, DON'T BOTHER!

It's Always trying to send me daft ways even when I know the shortest/fastest way. headbang

It's only any use to me when I reach my destination and am trying to find a specific address.

One plus point I suppose. it comes with maps of Europe so when we were in Lanzarote on holiday,we hired a car and found the villa no probs, and no it doesn't speak Spanish:p

Always used Tom Tom. Tried my son's Garmin once & didn't like it. Graphics at junctions & round-abouts were poor.

Still using my original Tom Tom 300 that I got about 5 years ago.

Other than it looks a bit dated compared to the new versions, I can't fault it.

I use the TomTom Rider. It's ok, but not perfect.

A friend uses the Garmin, which allows you to store and play music, allthough it appears that the more music that is stored, the longer the unit takes to boot up.

Neither of them are ideal when it comes to making and receiving phone calls.

The Tom Tom won't allow you to access the phone book unless stationary. Once accessed you can move off.

When using the Tom Tom in a car, there is a cradel that will charge the unit, which incorporates a speaker. However there is no microphone, so it can't be used for phone calls.

Tomtom for me, have been using them right back to the horse and cart days (ish) have found them to be very good.

In fact I'm sitting here right now at my PC downloading the latest map for my 740 and then back on with the speed camera warnings and I will be all set for my trip to Scotland next week.

I'm with KME its an AtoZ for me everytime. Works a treat unless I forget my glasssesROTFWL

Garmin for me - have tried loads and the main 2 are Garmin and TomTom. All boils down to which you prefer using. Both will occasionally send you down a blind alley where you will end up in a field staring at moo cows.

a-z for me

seen too many people go the wrong way down a slip road following the sat nav !!!!

Please tell me how it is not illegal to have it suckered on the windscreen between the driver and passenger ???

highway code states that nothing should impair vision through the windscreen

being that bright surely it must affect night vision

so if i get hit by someone and they have a satnav on the windscreen i cant wait to mention it to the police ...

They can cause accidents. My daughter who has not long passed her test run up the back of a car after looking down when the sat nav fell off the windscreen. Luckily no one was hurt but its going to cost her dear or probably me next time she insures her car.

Batty

for local stuff, i mostly use A-Z. for long distance working, i usually get almost to where im going without anything, and satnav from motorway to destination. or sometimes a printed map of route from motorway to destination

They can cause accidents. My daughter who has not long passed her test run up the back of a car after looking down when the sat nav fell off the windscreen. Luckily no one was hurt but its going to cost her dear or probably me next time she insures her car.Batty
No offence but A) she is female and B) she is a new and inexperienced driver. If not a sat nav then it would have been a lipstick or other make up disaster.

I have a TomTom, me gf has a Garmin. The mapping on the TomTom is clearer and easier to follow.

On longer journeys I'd be lost without Jane!

Has only got me to the wrong place once and that was my fault - I transposed the last 2 digits on the postcode :eek:

100% TomTom :D