Where to put smoke/fire/CO detectors, which type to use, etc.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Multi sensor detectors can be used anywhere and are less prone to false alarms.

Sorry for the basic question, but how do they work...?  Do they trigger in the event of either detecting something, or only when both do?  I presume the former but you never know...

If they did a multi & CO combined it would be the holy grail! ;)

Not according to Murdoch it wouldn't!  

Aico did say they are currently working on a combined optical/CO detector.  I'm sure someone somewhere is beavering away at making a multi and combined...

EDIT

Haha - you beat me to it Murdoch :)   

Hope you enjoyed your dinner

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies...  I promised an update on this but then never returned...  But reading through it again it seems Sidewinder has already provided the answer.  Aico do indeed say you can use the combined detector anywhere in the house (apart from an enclosed 4-wall kitchen; which mine isn't).  in fact they seem to treat it pretty much as their flagship:

https://www.aico.co.uk/technical-support/choosing-alarm-sensor-types/

I also agree that the control panel is quite vital with an Aico set up, not least of all because the "warning" alarms (as opposed to the alarm that has detected) are the same regardless of whether fire or CO has been detected....

Apologies...  I promised an update on this but then never returned...  But reading through it again it seems Sidewinder has already provided the answer.  Aico do indeed say you can use the combined detector anywhere in the house (apart from an enclosed 4-wall kitchen; which mine isn't).  in fact they seem to treat it pretty much as their flagship:

https://www.aico.co.uk/technical-support/choosing-alarm-sensor-types/

I also agree that the control panel is quite vital with an Aico set up, not least of all because the "warning" alarms (as opposed to the alarm that has detected) are the same regardless of whether fire or CO has been detected....

I still don’t agree .... the multisensor doesn’t say use it in a kitchen ...... but I guess if you fit one you’ll find out when you burn your toast or bacon.

But it won't sound unless the temperature has reached a certain level.  And if the toast/bacon is burnt sufficiently to raise the room temperature by X degrees then it's probably for the best that the alarm does go off!!!  

Although with that in mind, I can't see why they say not to use one in  a sole kitchen (4 walls).

I still don’t agree .... the multisensor doesn’t say use it in a kitchen ...... but I guess if you fit one you’ll find out when you burn your toast or bacon.
You really have zero idea how Aico Multisensor alarms work do you.

You really have zero idea how Aico Multisensor alarms work do you.

If they are suitable for kitchens, then Aico information would state that...... which they don’t and that’s my point.

maybe I will buy one next week and put it in my kitchen then burn some toast ...

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are suitable for kitchens, then Aico information would state that...... which they don’t and that’s my point.

maybe I will buy one next week and put it in my kitchen then burn some toast ...

And it wont go off at all unless you absolutely cremate it, they are practically immune to cooking fumes. Perhaps you should consider the freely available Aico Expert Installer CPD training. Or at the very least google the capabilities of the alarms before commenting.

I'm with you Jono and logically it makes sense.  But Murdoch has a point in as much as it is stated that they are not to be used in "enclosed" kitchens.  It's only been recommended in my set up because the kitchen is open plan with the dining room.  But based on how they work, why can't they be used in "enclosed" kitchens?

On a different but related not, what do you (and others) think about rooms with woodburners?  Again, they seem to make the most sense to my mind.  But when I contacted Aico I was told it is best to use an optical...

I'm with you Jono and logically it makes sense.  But Murdoch has a point in as much as it is stated that they are not to be used in "enclosed" kitchens.  It's only been recommended in my set up because the kitchen is open plan with the dining room.  But based on how they work, why can't they be used in "enclosed" kitchens?

On a different but related not, what do you (and others) think about rooms with woodburners?  Again, they seem to make the most sense to my mind.  But when I contacted Aico I was told it is best to use an optical...
I think the "enclosed kitchen" thing comes from BS5389 from what i remember, so while it would probably be suitable it wouldn't strictly be compliant. We just finished a large open kitchen with adjoining "snug" room with a wood burner, after a discussion with the Aico rep we fitted a Heat/CO in the kitchen side and a Multisensor just past the mid point and a CO by the wood burner.

So I emailed Aico and have just received this response:

"Good Morning,

The Ei3024 can only be used in a kitchen when it is an open plan environment i.e. kitchen/living room kitchen/diner.
And when it is used in that area it must be located between the 2 areas.

If it is a sole kitchen- with 4 walls then it must be either a heat alarm only or the Heat/CO multi to cover both heat and CO from a boiler or gas hob.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance,

Best regards

Sarah 

Technical Advisor"

So their data sheets are "wrong" ................. or should I say ambiguous

Latest posts