Which one guys???????????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemind

Reaction score
Hi team ,im the new spark on the block and id like to know whats the best multimeter for a beginner? just want to get used to testing ,would a basic 1 from b&q ,homebase or srewfix do?

Thanx .steve

What exactly do you want to do? Just measure volts amps resistance etc or test a full electrical installation, Earth loop, insulation resistance, etc?

Both are referred to as multimeters and the cost varies from a few pounds to best part of a thousand!

Steve, don't rush out and buy and meters. I seen from the training providers forum you are very new to the course. Best spending money on building a test rig. Practice on paper 2 way, 2 way with intermediate, 3 plate and industrial ways of making circuits. Then practice them for real on a board until you fully understand what is going on ,cause when you do it for real most of its hidden. Spend your money on decent screwdrivers and other hand tools. Oh and pay attention to what Clint says he is a very good instructor.

Thanks for your replys guys very helpful .

Cheers andy......your right mate Clint knows his stuff.

Back to my books

I have a fluke avo meter (the one with the current clamp)

I have a megger for the big testing, but the fluke is very handy for basic testing.

If you can affoard it go for a decent multimeter with a clamp ammeter - ideal for checking showers and immersion heaters