Who can I report this to

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally33

Reaction score
I had an electrician do an EIRC for me.  He said I needed a new board and installed it ..  He issued an EIRC.  The fuse board kept tripping and he came back 4 times.  Eventually, he gave up answering my requests and I got another electrician in who took some pictures. THis electrician was horrified by the work and said he would have to turn my supply off or do the work there and then - which he did   The offending electrician is not a member of NICEIC and I can't send pictures to Trading Standards who are now guarded by Citizens Advice.  Is there any way I can upload the picture here for you all to see? 

Any suggestions as I'm worried this man could cause a fire.  His installation for me was in a block of flats.  I keep having nightmares!!

Alison 

Use a third party image hosting site and put a link on here, or you will have to gain 10posts before being able to attach pictures, it is a system designed to prevent spam.  

Ask for a report of the faults from the second electrician and forward a copy of that and a bill for the second electricians time to the first electrician.

If you hear nothing follow it up with a "letter before action" stating you will take it to small claims court.

We look forward to seeing the pictures.

Assuming you are in England or Wales the original electrician should have provided

1. An EIC - electrical installation certificate for the fuseboard

2. An EICR for the property 

3. A Part P compliance certificate

did you get all 3?

I got an EIRC report. I presume it says all ok as it’s complicated to read. That’s all he gave me.  He also said that the bathroom lights were dangerous but passed it anyway. (They were spotlights). I got 2nd Electrician to change them. 

Use a third party image hosting site and put a link on here, or you will have to gain 10posts before being able to attach pictures, it is a system designed to prevent spam.  
I’ll try, I’m not sure I know how to do that but I’ll give it a go. Might take a few days though! I’m sure they’ll give you a bit of a shock!! (No pun intended) 

Yes you have and Wow that wasn’t installed but thrown and the wall and left to settle! 
not particularly impressed with the adverts much neither! 
personally he wants tracking down and his hands cut off to save the trade. 

you could threaten him with a legal case for poor workmanship and not being fit for purpose - the install not the man- although you would need the second electrician to support you with a detailed report of the failings and it would  be all at your own expense until proven in your favour? 

That needs sorting immediately.

The polarity looks correct looking at the cables within the board so I would suspect reverse polarity coming in from the meter, that needs looking at.

The CPCs (earths) chopped off is worrying...

that is unreal, how can someone charge for that, be very surprised if he was registered or even an electrician. did he say he was registered?

I suspect the cpcs were cut off in an attempt to stop the nuisance rcd tripping. They may claim to be many things but one thing for sure one of them is not an electrician. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't be surprised if the neutral conductors are at the wrong bars, the 6.0 on the 40A appears to have the neutral at the left bar. Appears to be several 2.5 32A radials maybe ring finals over separate devices, who knows. Don't understand the busbar at the right rcd but BG aren't my plaything.

Wouldn't be surprised if the neutral conductors are at the wrong bars, the 6.0 on the 40A appears to have the neutral at the left bar. Appears to be several 2.5 32A radials maybe ring finals over separate devices, who knows. Don't understand the busbar at the right rcd but BG aren't my plaything.
I suspect this was a High Integrity board which had 2ways which weren’t rcd protected? Is the copper actually going into the live side of rcd it looks as though it’s bent backwards ?? Has he got the polarity wrong on rcd? 
why hasn’t he cut the busbar back on first rcd? 

I suspect this was a High Integrity board which had 2ways which weren’t rcd protected? Is the copper actually going into the live side of rcd it looks as though it’s bent backwards ?? Has he got the polarity wrong on rcd? 
Yep I see that now probably explains the spare ways with no busbar. 

Looking at the picture of the CU one RCD has no outgoing neutral and the two neutral bars are linked with what looks like a couple of bits of 2.5

Looking at the picture of the CU one RCD has no outgoing neutral and the two neutral bars are linked with what looks like a couple of bits of 2.5
Think you are correct there.

Taking a closer look at the RCD on the left it looks like it may have another feed to it as it doesn't look like it is looped from outgoing on the main switch or the input of the right hand RCD

Just had another look and the right hand RCD has a busbar from the main switch outgoing live terminal connected across both terminals of the RCD and the circuit breakers. It looks like the neutral cable from the top of the right hand RCD it floating around the CU and it's live

Does this installation actually work