Who can I report this to

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the cpcs were cut off in an attempt to stop the nuisance rcd tripping. They may claim to be many things but one thing for sure one of them is not an electrician. 

Looking at the picture of the CU one RCD has no outgoing neutral and the two neutral bars are linked with what looks like a couple of bits of 2.5

Think you are correct there.

I would guess the power was all connected, but they couldn't figure out how to stop the RCD's from tripping...

so cut the earths...

join neutrals together... 

Then run off into the sunset on your horse with cowboy hat flapping in the wind!!!

You have been completely ripped-off, stitched-up, taken-for-a-ride and basically pi55ed-on by this danger to the public masquerading as a tradesperson!!!

:shakehead

Would love to have been a fly on the wall watching the half-wit sweating and trying to resolve the issue whilst digging a deeper and deeper hole.

That is truly awful

now be careful claiming reverse polarity, because so many earths are not connected, this can cause some cheap testers to get confused

trading standards had to be your next step 

date I ask if you received a receipt or invoice ?

Would love to have been a fly on the wall watching the half-wit sweating and trying to resolve the issue whilst digging a deeper and deeper hole.
If I was a fly I wouldn't have been on the wall I would have been in his ear telling him to do one

now be careful claiming reverse polarity, because so many earths are not connected, this can cause some cheap testers to get confused

trading standards had to be your next step 

date I ask if you received a receipt or invoice ?

Agreed,  no earth or a floating earth not connected at the CU can cause some strange interpretations for some polarity testers..

Definitely Trading Standards should be able to address this alleged "Work"!

The only other point I would add is..

Occasionally I come across shoddy jobs...

But then find out how much was paid for the job...

Which sometimes reveals that the quality of the work is proportional to the amount paid!

and someone after a cheap install did get exactly what they paid for!

:C

Agreed,  no earth or a floating earth not connected at the CU can cause some strange interpretations for some polarity testers..

Which sometimes reveals that the quality of the work is proportional to the amount paid!

I've had that with my polarity checker.

I got involved in a shoddy rewire - turned out customer had got cheap quote from friend of a friend down the pub. They did take it to court for illegal use of NICEIC logo

Taking a closer look at the RCD on the left it looks like it may have another feed to it as it doesn't look like it is looped from outgoing on the main switch or the input of the right hand RCD

Just had another look and the right hand RCD has a busbar from the main switch outgoing live terminal connected across both terminals of the RCD and the circuit breakers. It looks like the neutral cable from the top of the right hand RCD it floating around the CU and it's live

Does this installation actually work
It tripped every night when the storage heaters came on. 

Very interesting, and worrying, to read all your comments. However, the problem I have is that I can’t report him to anyone. The public can’t get directly to trading standards nowadays. You have to go through the local authority. I’ve reported to local authorities but they haven’t got the facility to accept photographs. This.            ’Electrician’  also issued me a EIRC and told me (on the quiet) that the bathroom lights weren’t safe. I’m scared this man will cause a fire or hurt someone but nobody will listen. 

what area are you in Ally?

it looks like he has no idea how the board works, it looks like he just put busbar and cables where ever they fitted.

how did you find his services, could you upload the EIRC (EICR), would be interested in what that looks like too.

have you know got this sorted?

However, the problem I have is that I can’t report him to anyone.

as bad as it sounds, thats pretty much it. best you can hope for is as binky says, get prosecuted for claiming to be a member of someone they are not. other than that, unlikely anything will get done

what area are you in Ally?

it looks like he has no idea how the board works, it looks like he just put busbar and cables where ever they fitted.

how did you find his services, could you upload the EIRC (EICR), would be interested in what that looks like too.

have you know got this sorted?
I'm in South London/Surrey borders.  Yes, 2nd Electrician sorted it.  I posted on local Facebook page asking for recommendations as my regular electrician doesn't do EIRC's.  I realised afterwards that this guy sent me a direct message on messenger and didn't come through as a recommendation.  He was the cheapest!!) I'll try and work out a way to upload the EIRC.  There are quite a few pages of it. 

Yes, even on theit web site you can't send pictures.  According to Local Authority, Trading Standards have apparently got the record of my complaint but they can't know how dangerous/serious it was without the pictures!

as bad as it sounds, thats pretty much it. best you can hope for is as binky says, get prosecuted for claiming to be a member of someone they are not. other than that, unlikely anything will get done

Isn't it terrible!  He actually didn't claim to be a member of anyone.  He just claimes to be an electrician.  Even the EIRC doesn't seem to have a governing body.  The EIRC isn't worth the paper it's written on - it's a big PDF so I can't upload it here.  Any ideas on that? 

Yes, serves me right I went for cheapest.  He charges £160 for the EIRC on this and another property (each).  He charged £480 for the new board and the 'work' he did.  Others were quoting up to £700.  Trouble is I now need 2 new EIRC's as I don't trust them anyway! 

Isn't it terrible!  He actually didn't claim to be a member of anyone.  He just claimes to be an electrician.  Even the EIRC doesn't seem to have a governing body.  The EIRC isn't worth the paper it's written on - it's a big PDF so I can't upload it here.  Any ideas on that? 

Yes, serves me right I went for cheapest.  He charges £160 for the EIRC on this and another property (each).  He charged £480 for the new board and the 'work' he did.  Others were quoting up to £700.  Trouble is I now need 2 new EIRC's as I don't trust them anyway! 

Yes you have and Wow that wasn’t installed but thrown and the wall and left to settle! 
not particularly impressed with the adverts much neither! 
personally he wants tracking down and his hands cut off to save the trade. 

you could threaten him with a legal case for poor workmanship and not being fit for purpose - the install not the man- although you would need the second electrician to support you with a detailed report of the failings and it would  be all at your own expense until proven in your favour? 
Yes, sorry about the adverts!

£480 for that board isn’t cheap, £700 would be very high

where in the UK are you ?

What you call "EIRC" is actually "EICR",

Electrical Installation Condition Report.

An EICR is one of various documents specified within BS7671 wiring regulations.

BS7671 wiring regulations are non-statutory..

BUT...

For installing a new consumer unit within England or Wales,

As well as an "EIC"  Electrical Installation Certificate..

you should also have been issued with a Part=P building regulations compliance certificate.

Which IS statutory..

AND...

if you have paid any trades-person for any goods or services..

then you can seek redress via Trading Standards for negligent work.

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office 

Guinness

BUT...

you should also have been issued with a Part=P building regulations compliance certificate.

Which IS statutory..

AND...

Guinness

£480 for that board isn’t cheap, £700 would be very high

where in the UK are you ?

BUT...

Which IS statutory..

AND...

Guinness
That's just my point.  Trading Standards have stopped dealing with the public.  The public can now only access Trading Standards through the local Authority which I have done.  However, there is no facility to send any photographs and therefore I can't explain to them how serious this is.  They have given me a case No. but I have heard nothing.