Wire Display Cabinet Lighting Into Lighting Circuit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozza

Reaction score
Hi. I will soon be taking delivery of a large display cabinet for my living room. It comes with LED lighting. The cabinet is almost floor to ceiling and will be positioned where there is currently a wall light and so I will need to remove the wall light. I would like, if possible, to wire the cabinet lighting into the wiring from the soon to be removed wall light so I can turn it on and off from the existing wall light switch. Is this ok to do (by possibly fitting a 5 amp fused spur with a cable inlet where the wall light currently is for instance)? If not, do I have any other options. Thanks in advance.

What you in effect have is a portable light.

I assume the present wall lights are switched on and off by a conventional light switch just like a ceiling light?

If so just replace the wall light with a 5 amp round pin socket and fit a 5 amp round pin plug to the cable from the cabinet light.

That's all there is to it. the lighting circuit is normally protected by a 6A circuit breaker in your consumer unit so no need for additional fuses. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if the 5a socket outlet is not protected by an rcd in the fuseboard, it would have to be labelled "display cabinet" or something, to comply strictly with the regs. Although once installed, it would be unlikely to ever be read.

I like the idea of a plug and socket, if the cabinet fell over (eeek!!!) it would probably unplug instead of ripping out any fitting.

Well I can't imagine anyone plugging an extension lead into it to use the lawnmower outside.
I think it is more to do with the act of plugging and unplugging things by hand, therefore the additional protection needed. 5a sockets don't have switches, so you cant switch it off before (un)plugging.Can't see much of a problem here though, I agree.

Thanks for all your comments. FYI - there is a 6amp RCD protecting the circuit. I prefer the 'round pin' plug & socket option so that's probably what I will do. I will take care whilst doing this - thanks for your concern and thanks again for your advise.

Sorry - I'm talking about the mcb in the consumer unit. I read somewhere that a RCD should not be used for lighting. Is that correct or a load of pants ?!

That is a bit of a sweeping statement.
Yes it is, however, the OP's statement was also somewhat sweeping.

Since 2k8 it has been difficult to justify not protecting lighting circuits in a "normal" domestic installation with "normal" installation methods for such an install.

Yes it is, however, the OP's statement was also somewhat sweeping.

Since 2k8 it has been difficult to justify not protecting lighting circuits in a "normal" domestic installation with "normal" installation methods for such an install.
But with respect to the op he is untrained in this area. Also there are thousands of council / housing association properties that may go against that b