wiring emergency lighting key switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithlard353

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I normally like to offer something before I start asking for stuff. I was going to upload a couple of docs but they're too big.

I've been looking around on manufacturers' websites and everywhere else and there don't seem to be any wiring diagrams for how you connect cables through emergency test key switches: I need to understand how they are wired in the following two ways....

1/. so that the mains lights stay on during em lighting test

2/. so that the mains lights go off during em lighting test

I am not very good at following written or verbal instructions. I like to have a good long look at a wiring diagram for it to sink in. I can't find one anywhere!

Thanks and regards

Andrew

Thanks Andy

There aren't any actual wiring diagrams are there? Not from the switch manuafacturers (eg MK) nor from the lighting companies (eg Thorn) nor from industry bodies (eg ICEL) not in the Electrician's guide to Emergency Lighting.

Is this why they are sometimes called Secret Switchs? Ho! Ho! Ho!

if you need a diagram of a switch in a permanent live, you should consider another trade.

the 'secret' part has nothing to do with how the switch is wired.

The Emergancy lights should be wired through a key switch in such a way that you can test emergancy lights and still have normal lighting live CJS

Surely this is a wind up?

Its a blinkin switch?

supply in to contact 'a'

out of contact 'b' to load.

heres a clue....

Switches in series BOTH have to be on for the load to have power.

So for example if you had a load with a manual functional switch,

a second "secret switch" in series could guarantee the power is removed no-matter what state the manual function switch is in.

So if you have a load that requires a perm and/or switched supply,

its NOT rocket science to work out which legs need switching or not!

; )B-)

/1 normal maintain e/m wiring

/2 why would you want to??? could always just kill the mcb if u want to see how much light the e/m lights give