Wiring Modular Flourescent Lighting (4 Lamp Unit) with Emergency Backup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cr0ft

Reaction score
Hi folks. I would be most grateful if anyone can help me with wiring some modular 600x600mm lighting units in a hospital lab. I work domestically mainly and have little commercial experience. I have tried to pass the work to a commercial electrician today (so called) who took 2 and a half hours of head-scratching before he declared himself out.

The units are fitted with Tridonic EM34A Basic emergency lighting units and Helvar EL4 x 18SC dimmable ballasts.

The emergency unit wiring diagrams on the first link doesn't seem to indicate how to wire the unit up to a 4 lamp ballast such as the one I am fitting.

Can someone with more commercial experience than me (not hard) explain how the output side of the ballast is wired to the emergency lighting? Ideally using the wiring diagram (diagram 3 on page 30 of the second link).

Many thanks in advance for any help, I wish commercial lighting was as straightforward as domestic!!

If the existing cabling is dali then you could have some problems. You will need a 6 core or minimum 4 core between the lighting and the controls can be a nightmare.

Hi and thanks for your reply. The cabling supplying the light from the distribution board is standard twin and earth and with a 3-core flexible cable being used from the dimmer switch and lighting switches.

The cabling in the units themselves appears to be single core cable (single-insulated).

I've attached a photo which shows the cabling used inside the lighting units.

I have 2 lights to repair. I've managed to get one working but it won't dim (this is a faulty ballast and I will be replacing it on Friday. It's the one with the emergency lighting that is stuffing me. I can get 3 lamps going (all of them dim ok) but the 4th lamp won't come on. Tearing my hair out!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird, it's showing up on mine. Anyway, all the photo shows is that everything inside the lighting unit is wired in single core cabling. Not using DALI at all.

They can be confusing and my best advice would be to phone the manufacturer of the emergency pack, explaining your application.

I have done this many times over the years and speaking to the tech department always gets you on the correct path.

It's only a phone call and the benefits can solve all problems, give them a call.