Would this be a minor works

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Got a job to do, fit some more downlights for a customer, hate the things :(

They got a 12 way hagar board, 16th ed (single RCD

5 ways used non rcd side

Lights (up, down, outside)

Smokes

Alarm system

3 used RCD side

Ring down, ring up, cooker

I will be fitting the lights to the downstairs circuit.

I will be moving the circuit breaker over the the RCD side of the board.

Would this job require a minor works, or full EIC as ive moved the circuit location within the board?

Also, when using a fuse spur from a ring, for a couple extra sockets, the protective device on the cert, is that recorded as the fuse spur, or the Protective device for the whole circuit?

Guinness

Got a job to do, fit some more downlights for a customer, hate the things :( They got a 12 way hagar board, 16th ed (single RCD

5 ways used non rcd side

Lights (up, down, outside)

Smokes

Alarm system

3 used RCD side

Ring down, ring up, cooker

I will be fitting the lights to the downstairs circuit.

I will be moving the circuit breaker over the the RCD side of the board.

Would this job require a minor works, or full EIC as ive moved the circuit location within the board?

Also, when using a fuse spur from a ring, for a couple extra sockets, the protective device on the cert, is that recorded as the fuse spur, or the Protective device for the whole circuit?

Guinness
socket circuit would be mcb but i also put the spur in notes area ;)

lights would be better through rcbo to stop nusaince tripping and minor works as its just extension to lighting cct not new complete cct

socket circuit would be mcb but i also put the spur in notes area ;) lights would be better through rcbo to stop nusaince tripping and minor works as its just extension to lighting cct not new complete cct
I wanted to go down the route of the RCBO, but they said cant i just change it to the other side (onto RCD side)

I wanted to go down the route of the RCBO, but they said cant i just change it to the other side (onto RCD side)
Got the same issue with a customer at the moment, all you can do is explain the benefits and let them choose.

Bez

Got the same issue with a customer at the moment, all you can do is explain the benefits and let them choose. Bez
Already have, and they chose just to swap it onto the RCD side. Ive explained both options and reccomended that the RCBO was the route to go down, even if its only for this one circuit, and not the others.

But they wanted me to just swap circuit over.

Then swap it over, and when a lamp blows, and takes all the sockets out, they`ll be back on the `phone.

erm..... standby. reg check.

ref sec. R103BS 7671 requires that an RCD is so selected and the electrical circuits so subdivided that any protective conductor current which may be expected to occur during normal operation of the load(s) will be unlikely to cause unnecessary tripping of the device

Why are you putting this circuit on the RCD side,,does any of the work you are doing require RCD protection... i.e. burried cables or bathroom??? If not just leave it on the ISO side and put a suitable note on the MWC

Why are you putting this circuit on the RCD side,,does any of the work you are doing require RCD protection... i.e. burried cables or bathroom??? If not just leave it on the ISO side and put a suitable note on the MWC
Cables within the walls, 9 year old "new build" so there just behind plaster board.

Also found a couple of faults that were there from installation on day one...

such as

Kitchen wall cabinet screws just catching cables headbang

But you only have to RCD protect any cables that you install,,, not ones that are already there!!

If the cables that you put in do not require RCD protection then you do not have to RCD the circuit just because there is a switch drop somewhere thats <50mm (etc..)

But you only have to RCD protect any cables that you install,,, not ones that are already there!!If the cables that you put in do not require RCD protection then you do not have to RCD the circuit just because there is a switch drop somewhere thats <50mm (etc..)
i agree.

and if u go rcbo thats still not minor works

I'll also agree with Noz, cables in the ceiling aren't within the 50 mm rule, so I can't see the neccessity for rcd protection.

But you only have to RCD protect any cables that you install,,, not ones that are already there!!If the cables that you put in do not require RCD protection then you do not have to RCD the circuit just because there is a switch drop somewhere thats <50mm (etc..)
I would have thought that, when you alter or amend a circuit, at least that WHOLE circuit should be compliant; or noted as a deviation.

KME

I thought that if you work on a circuit, that circuit should meet regulations. or am i wrong as per usual :)

i thought the same, then i got a job were the guy would not have rcd fitted, so i rang the nic tech help line to see what my options were explained situation and they said my cables have to be >50 mm

You are only responsible for what you install...

all saying... you have to make sure that what you connect to and what you connect is actually safe...

How about if you add a spur socket to a ring which doesn't have RCD protection and the cable that you install is <50mm (etc)... now the cable and socket you install has to be RCD protected, you can either do this at the CU or install a RCD FS at the point at which you take the spur..

It's no different.

I would have thought that, when you alter or amend a circuit, at least that WHOLE circuit should be compliant; or noted as a deviation.KME
Sorry to butt in, but if what you've stated is the case, when I added an emergency light fitting (yesterday), should I note the fact that the particular cct I altered is NOT RCD protected?

Or am I missing the point :coat

In a domestic setting you should note in the "comments on the installation" box that the circuit (or many circuits) have no RCD protection (ie. don't comply to 17th ed)... you should also note if the installation has red/black cables!!