How many cables into a double socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjonesguitar

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how many cables will go into a double socket? I have one i am slightly concered about... has 6mm plus 2 2.5mm into it (6mm feeding 2.5mm ring).

Think about the configuration of the circuit, you said it is a 6mm sq feeding a ring of 2x2.5mm sq.

I take this as a radial 6mm from the db to a "point" in this case a s.o. from there the ring proceeds around in a normal manner.

Think about the shape of an old fashioned round lollipop on a stick?

Oh goody, we haven't had a good argument for a while lol

Can you.....can't you.......should you....shouldn't you........allowed.........not allowed ha ha

lol just what has been done (not by me i may add)... i guess you could say so... i understnd this isnt ideal and not how things are done but does technically work... my knowledge is limited but someone said the junction box could be of concern...

Does the 6mm and 2 2.5mm's fit ok or has the installer given the 6mm a haircut. If not and they fit in good then i think it's fine

Do the calcs -protect the cable - is junction rated sufficiently- if all works out it will be safe and ok - have confidence in your quals, experience and knowledge - just because something is new/unusual doesn't make it wrong - conversley - why are rings so great! there is a big shift back to radials. Historically, Rings only came into being when it was decided that they were a safe way of extending existing radials as post war affluence increased the number of electrical items in homes. i.e. existing ccts were all radial , they were becoming overloaded. So it was easier and cheaper to extend the radial back to the CU than rip out existing and rewire in larger CSA cable. Rings then became the norm as copper was so cheap - how times change, time to re-invent the wheel so to speak - hence shift back to radials (Nearly all the contiinenet is on radials)

If in doubt - do a lick test - you will know if it is a lollipop:tongue in cheek

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts