1000W Dimmer Annoyance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhitleyElectrical08

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Does anyone know of a decent 1000W dimmer for use in a pub (Commercial!), this has been a long standing issue for a while in a friend of mines pub basically

we have been through the usual rigmarole brought all the lamp sizes down its currently running 700w. but within a couple of months its blown so its back to the wholesalers i have tried several makes and models and they all seem to suffer the same fate.

So i was wondering if anyone has found a solution or can point me in the direction of a model that will stand up to the task

Many thanks

What lamps are in the circuit?

On going problem with GU10s "Blowing" Dimmers on lamp failure.

Few other questions...

Do the dimmers blown when a lamp blows?

Or is it just random dimmer failure while all lamps still work?

Are the dimmers fused?

If yes what type of fusing?

A few things that may help as it sounds like overheating. I have done all 3 below when i had this problem and it solved it.

1 Fit dimmer on metal plate

2 Fit the dimmer to a double gang box by drilling a blank plate, with nothing else in the box

Go for a dimmer that has a metal heat sink visible

Everything's crap nowadays so just because it says 1000w on the box don't believe it.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Forgot to mention, fit in the deepest box possible