17th ....18th edition Regs ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our part time apprentice  ( Who may have a permanent apprenticship  offer coming up )    is asking the following :

Should he continue with his plan to take C&G  17th edition   or wait to see what is happening with the 18th  . ?

Our part time apprentice  ( Who may have a permanent apprenticship  offer coming up )    is asking the following :

Should he continue with his plan to take C&G  17th edition   or wait to see what is happening with the 18th  . ?
it's one of those isn't it, there was something a while back iirc saying that if you hadn't done the 17th then you had to do the full course rather than the exam if you wanted to do the 18th, although it wouldn't matter in his case would it, he's probably better waiting and doing 18th rather than doing one now and another in 12 months, save money that way.Personally I refused to pay to do 17th, I got a certificate from school saying I knew how to read, didn't see the point in paying out again to get another one, it was dear enough buying the book.lol

just wait til the 19th the year after

rumors of the changes are:

arc fault devices removed after found to be useless in 18th, even though everyone said they were but still got forced in

manufacturers for consumer units must be proper terminals that wont loosen and cause a fire

plastic CU's allowed once again (see above)

screw terminal torque values changed from 'x value' where wires fall out after slight movement to 'tight enough'

over reliance on RCD's for everything removed

requirement for anyone carrying out electrical work to be competent, 5DWs straight out of 'training' banned from working on their own

red yellow and blue brought back

for once, earth loop valves not changed again

18th is due out 1st July 18.

I can't see that they could change it enough to have to re-educate every electrician in the country...

Yes but when my ECS gold card runs out in 2019 I'll need to have done the 18th course so it goes on the new card.

Last edited by a moderator:
if they're going to carry on with all these updates and amendments they should go back to the old loose leaf books and just sell the relevant pages, it's a liberty asking you to spend nearly a hundred quid on a book every time somebody gets bored and decides to change a couple of pages.

^^

its not just the big book, it's the OSG, updates to software and testers plus the exams, time out for the exams....... The list goes on.......

^^

its not just the big book, it's the OSG, updates to software and testers plus the exams, time out for the exams....... The list goes on.......
Exactly, mind you the testers make me laugh, was looking at a new 17th edition mft a couple of years back, asked what the difference between it and mine was, guy says, "yours gives a reading and a tick or cross, this gives a reading, says pass or fail and has a red or green light". Oh well I guess that justifies spending another 7 or 8 hundred quid then, doesn't it?

The 17th exam makes me laugh, what does it prove apart from the fact you can read a book,never heard anything so daft, "you have to sit this exam, but here's a book with all the answers in it, oh and you can take it in with you". not being funny but I got the wife to do a mock on line and she passed, and she's no electrical experience whatsoever.

just wait til the 19th the year after

rumors of the changes are:

arc fault devices removed after found to be useless in 18th, even though everyone said they were but still got forced in

manufacturers for consumer units must be proper terminals that wont loosen and cause a fire

plastic CU's allowed once again (see above)

screw terminal torque values changed from 'x value' where wires fall out after slight movement to 'tight enough'

over reliance on RCD's for everything removed

requirement for anyone carrying out electrical work to be competent, 5DWs straight out of 'training' banned from working on their own

red yellow and blue brought back

for once, earth loop valves not changed again
Come on Andy, are you serious! never happen in a million years, and why?       because it's one of the most sensible things I've heard in ages, and we all know the powers that be don't do anything remotely sensible.

The best thing with the Regs is  The great & the good sit down & decide what is safe , what precautions should be taken etc . 

So looking at what is left of the   13th ed. regs in force when I began apprenticship I see we didn't bother with an earth wire in domestic lighting circuits , usually wired in single core 6181Y .

I see that wooden switch pattresses were in use along with wooden ceiling roses and  ...OMG!!!! ...wooden fuseboards with rewirable fuses . 

And there was no bonding .

Once published it appears they realise they needed to go better so start on the next one. .

14th ed.  I can't remember much difference TBH other than 6mm bonding on domestic.  It was an alcohol fueled period .

14th ed.  Metric  was a bit confusing as we were raised in the Imperial measurements so we went from 7/.029  to 2.5mm  etc .

15th ed.  Was the first one I think that couldn't make it's mind up and had many updates  , I think it raised domestic bonding to 10mm ..not sure though.  

I think it was the one refered to as the Coat of Many Colours.....with many updates all of a new colour . I remember we had half a dozen in the end all different colours  until the blue copy , possibly , encompassed them all.    

16th ed.  Now that was the first one that fetched us all back to college and they realised the financial potential .

Was this the one that changed the cable colours ?     

It introduced the Split load board for domestic .   And RCDs for outside power etc .

Now I feel things are being added & altered to justify their existence . 

The septics are better organised, the NFPA-NEC issue their new code book on a three year cycle.

Where it gets confusing is individual states can say “we don’t like that bit” or “we’re sticking to 2008 codes”

The difference there though is the NEC is a bit more direct and actually says 'you should do this' whereas BS7671 doesn't, apart from with a couple of stupid things that really shouldn't even be in there.

The draft for public comment was supposed to be released yesterday but due to technical issues it's been delayed to Monday......every one across the forums should get behind it and express our concerns if we agree somethings ridiculous.....just register on the IET site so you can read the draft on monday.

I don't see how an apprentice can be part time - either you've got an apprenticeship and go to college on day release or you don't.   If he's doing his apprenticeship to 17th edition he wouldn't need to do it separately.

The septics are better organised, the NFPA-NEC issue their new code book on a three year cycle.

Where it gets confusing is individual states can say “we don’t like that bit” or “we’re sticking to 2008 codes”
Is that the one which is published in a ring binder format so they can just replace the pages or sections which are updated?

Is that the one which is published in a ring binder format so they can just replace the pages or sections which are updated?
NO because that refers to the USA system and NOT ours

i have a loose leaf binder....BLUE I think. They also issued YELLOW in loose leaf format but I never got a binder for that. It still had to be paid for though