230v 2kW motor buzzing, no rotation.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzWiz

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a problem a chippie friend of mine has with a bench saw. It's the biggest single phase saw he could find at 2.1 kW has barely been used but is out of warranty.

The motor buzzes but does not rotate. He thinks it might be something to do with the electronic brake but i know nothing about motors and really have no idea.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

More than likely the phase shifting capacitor has failed.

You can test that theory (if you are brave) by turning it on, then turn the motor by hand and it will start. Be careful to turn it the right way or it may start backwards!!!

I have a pillar drill like this and I've been too lazy to change the capacitor :)

EDIT:

Riggy beat me to it.

Riggy are you suggesting He give the motor a handjob?
Sounds like this could easily end up as a 'NO-HAND JOB' - be very careful! or in fact better than that, buy a new saw!

Sounds like this could easily end up as a 'NO-HAND JOB' - be very careful! or in fact better than that, buy a new saw!
Could be called ANDY NO HANDY then couldn't he

:coat :coat :coat :coat :coat :coat :coat :coat :coat

All fault finding is about risk management, comments like that above drive me mad! I would be happy removing the drive belt, applying the power and giving the pulley a push with a screwdriver.

If you're not happy with that level of risk you could swap the capacitor to another similar motor if one is available, or failing that take finacial gamble and buy a capacitor, it's unlikely your gamble will fail.

Either way don't give up!

Think the first i'd be doing is removing the blade:O

At least 90% of the risk involved has gone

It will probably be the capacitor, I would do as reccomended above spinning it by hand if its possible, or what you can quite often do is turn it on to charge up the ***citor, then carefully remove capcitor and short both legs accross a spanner or something and it should "crack", if not capacitor is no good, just be careful doing it though!

Check out this link normal way is to use a capacitance meter.

One old method was to use insulation resistance tester (Megger) set at the working voltage on the capacitor name plate and connect the leads across the cap

charge the cap then take care disconnecting the tester then short circuit the capacitor terminals it should generate a spark.

Do this only if you feel safe to do so..REMEMBER VOLT JOLT CURRENT KILLS bad day explode