A Question Of Money.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technician

Reaction score
I would like the forum opinions on this story.

I had a banker's draft made out to an outfit

owned by a major high street bank.  It was

made out to the name on their letterhead.

I was reluctant to send it via post so I took

it to a high street branch, with the intent of

asking them to accept it and transmit by a

"safe hand", giving me a receipt.

I was told that It was incorrect, that it should

have been made out to me, and that on the

arrival in my account that account would then

have been debited by the amount on the

draft and transmitted to the intended final

recipient.

I took the same draft to another branch who

accepted it without question and gave me a

receipt.

THIS DAMNDED WELL STINKS.

How could the staff have known the identity

of the final intended recipient had been if it

was paid into my a/c?

Last para should read;

"How could the staff know the identity

of the final recipient had the draft been

paid into my account?"

.....editor time ran out.

So the first branch are saying that you should have had the draft made out from your account to yourself at which time they would have transfered the money to someone that they wouldn't know the name of???

Thats just daft...but they're probably right that they could have just transferred the money instead of you sending a bankers draft

No...Nozz... the draft came from another bank.

NOT the same as the one I went to have it paid

in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Banks are quite useless IMHO. Write a letter of complaint referencing lost time etc and I bet you get a few quid compo as a gesture.

They don't like bad press. Most people just take it and don't bother complaining..........I DO!

Once we were getting credit card statements sent but we'd only get say page 7 of 7 with the front six pages missing. It put us overdrawn as we missed paying the minimum ammount by the due date etc. When we complained the cheeky gits sent a new bill with a letter saying "Here's the COPY of your statement YOU requested!". Then a CHARGE for the copy appeared on the NEXT bill. It went on and on! Got £50 compo and the charges taken off. Then another time they sent the bill LATE and charged US, again got more compo and charges refunded.

The latest was another bank where we set up a standing order to pay £30 a year to my sons school (some "voluntary" thing). The bank decided they would pay the school this ammount for 5 months instead of once a year. More compo.

EDF are the latest wasters I've just had to fight.

Ditto the local council over a parking ticket.

TBH none of the compo pays for the grief!

Last edited by a moderator:
Banks are quite useless IMHO. Write a letter of complaint referencing lost time etc and I bet you get a few quid compo as a gesture.

They don't like bad press. Most people just take it and don't bother complaining..........I DO!

Once we were getting credit card statements sent but we'd only get say page 7 of 7 with the front six pages missing. It put us overdrawn as we missed paying the minimum ammount by the due date etc. When we complained the cheeky gits sent a new bill with a letter saying "Here's the COPY of your statement YOU requested!". Then a CHARGE for the copy appeared on the NEXT bill. It went on and on! Got £50 compo and the charges taken off. Then another time they sent the bill LATE and charged US, again got more compo and charges refunded.

The latest was another bank where we set up a standing order to pay £30 a year to my sons school (some "voluntary" thing). The bank decided they would pay the school this ammount for 5 months instead of once a year. More compo.

EDF are the latest wasters I've just had to fight.

Ditto the local council over a parking ticket.

TBH none of the compo pays for the grief!

I DOOOOOONT BELIEVE IT.!

Victor is alive and well,

:Salute

A bank is not necessarily a safe place to keep money.

Sometimes it is though. But you should always be careful with security.

I have just sent my letter of complaint to the bank H/O.

The vocabulary would get past any swear filter but I

included (very) oblique references to two illegal activities;

Attempted fraud and money laundering.

Might that mean waking up with a dead horse Sharp?

Or....not waking up with a horse?

I was struck by the lady in the second branch I visited.  I never mentioned

the first encounter but she asked NO questions at all.  Job and knock.

We all know that the banks "launder" money.  That is why it may take 3 days

plus for cheques to clear. During this time they are using it for day trading,

interest rate swops, derivative trading, anything that masquerades as a legit.

method of making a profit.  One of my criticisms in my letter was that the staff

in the first bank had NO idea of the meaning of the term, "Banker's draft."

Just fought a local council over two parking tickets and won (basically I broke down on a dual carriageway, safest place was to coast to a bus stop and the wife came out to tow me home - she got done as well). Refused to pay from the off, started a Stage 1 complaint, wrote to the council's CEO, the Local Government Ombudsman etc. Got to the point with escalations that we were looking at £165.00 each and THE WIFE (not me) was due in court.

In their appeal form there are boxes for "mitigating circumstances" - amazing that mechanical failure isn't an option! I also raised hell over their ignoring health and safety concerns in pursuit of profit etc.

Anyway, all over, apologies from them etc...........................or so I thought. 

Got a cheque from the council yesterday. £165.00 "Penalty Charge Refund".

Weird as I NEVER paid them anything in the first place!

Seems not only are their Parking Services a waste of space but their Finance department is too!

:lol:

Latest posts