Advice with codes please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallpault

Reaction score
Hi first post.Any advice would be a great help,im in the process of testing a community centre and could do with a bit of advice.

1 The building has about 5/6 seperate fans/heating ductwork with no main equopential bonds fitted,but they have continuity on the ductwork to met under 0.05 ohms due to the earth from the spur etc.

Would a main bond be required and if so what code?

2 Steelwork in the exstension again has no bond fitted but the pillars are tied into the foundations and is giving a low continuity reading.

Would the steelwork still required bonded and if so what code?

3 What code would you give meteal clad sockets without flying earths from back boxes to sockets?

4 And finally there is some single chrome sockets fitted in a sports hall one has a chunk taken out of insert and another has became broken inside the socket.However all the sockets in the hall are bashed and dinted.

The client is saying just to replace the two sockets with like for like but i feel all sockets should be replaced with sockets with a protective front.But would it be a code 1.

Hi first post.Any advice would be a great help,im in the process of testing a community centre and could do with a bit of advice.1 The building has about 5/6 seperate fans/heating ductwork with no main equopential bonds fitted,but they have continuity on the ductwork to met under 0.05 ohms due to the earth from the spur etc.

code 2 requires improvement

Would a main bond be required and if so what code?

2 Steelwork in the exstension again has no bond fitted but the pillars are tied into the foundations and is giving a low continuity reading.

code 2 again, look at the check boxes on the PIR, you are not using the steelwork as an earth electrode so it must be extraneous

Would the steelwork still required bonded and if so what code?

3 What code would you give meteal clad sockets without flying earths from back boxes to sockets?

code 1, not earthed

4 And finally there is some single chrome sockets fitted in a sports hall one has a chunk taken out of insert and another has became broken inside the socket.However all the sockets in the hall are bashed and dinted.

code 2, possibly code 1, dependant on actual outward state

The client is saying just to replace the two sockets with like for like but i feel all sockets should be replaced with sockets with a protective front.But would it be a code 1.
all is dependant on personal judgement IMO.

1 The building has about 5/6 seperate fans/heating ductwork with no main equopential bonds fitted,but they have continuity on the ductwork to met under 0.05 due to the earth from the spur etc.Would a main bond be required and if so what code?
I'd go for a no here.

If within the equipotential zone I'd say yes on this one.

are they aren't connected to earthed conduit?

I'd go 2 needs improvement.

4 And finally there is some single chrome sockets fitted in a sports hall one has a chunk taken out of insert and another has became broken inside the socket.However all the sockets in the hall are bashed and dinted.The client is saying just to replace the two sockets with like for like but i feel all sockets should be replaced with sockets with a protective front.But would it be a code 1.
Damaged sockets I always put down as code 1, because they are only gonna get worse & become a greater hazard.

3 above would be a code 4 from the best practice guide from esc because the earth goes through the screws to the back box via a fixed lug on metalclad sockets.

Yeh the sockets get an earth from the socket screws.

If bonding the steelwork would that be a code1 or 2

The codes are again a guidline, you as the tester can give a code 1, IF ,you feel that the use of, and the potential danger of such, could constitute a danger to the user.

So

1, answer no (code 2 requires improvement) meets the requirments no need to improve.

2, answer this would be a code 2

3, metal clad sockets can be considered earthed if metal fixed lugs are used, the screw being the tie, to earth face, to back box.

4,all broken accesories should be classed as code 1, unless under instructed, skilled person then kick their ass and ask why they have allowed a danger to exsist.