Are Floplast Barrier Pipes Suitable For A Central Heating System?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n4t4

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently having a new central heating system put in and the plumber has used 15mm Floplast Barrier pipes. We have had a couple of people tell us that they are not the correct pipes to use. Some advice would be great as I am worried we are going to have to start from scratch again £2k down the line.

Thank-you in advance.

It was a builder we had in to do some other works said they were incorrect and then the builders merchants said that they will last for about 5 years or so and then there will most definitely be a leak.

It was a builder we had in to do some other works said they were incorrect and then the builders merchants said that they will last for about 5 years or so and then there will most definitely be a leak.
Perhaps they should read the manufactures bumff....

Colour White Manufacturer Guarantee 25 years Manufacturing Standards BS 7291 Class S Part 1, 2 and 3, WRAS and ISO 9001:2000 Model No FPX15B/25 Pack Size 1 Product Diameter 15 mm Product Height 650 mm Product Length 25 m Product Thickness 185 mm Product Width 200 mm Total Product Weight 1.725 kg

Sounds more like the builders merchants wanting to sell lots of more expensive copper pipe at four or five times the price.!!!!

They should be fine, if correctly installed.

The pipes carry a huge guarantee, not sure about the fittings though! ;)

As has been said, not right up to the boiler though.

Personally I am not a fan of plastic pipe, and even less a fan of push fit connectors.

But there is a big advantage in plastic pipe that you can do long runs and around corners without joints.

So my prefered method is plastic pipe for the long runs, converting to copper in the rooms and anywhere visible.  My golden rule is no push fit pipe connectors that are not accessible.

S'funny, I had someone else say the other day he'd heard push fits were only good for 5 years............only time I've ever had an issue was when I once removed and re-fitted a Hep2o 22mm elbow I'd used on copper.....it leaked.

I retrofitted upstairs (it had no CH) in copper pipe with HEP2o push fit joints as I didn't fancy soldering whilst squeezed down gaps in the roof space. Been in for 16 years and not a problem

Now then.

It used to be the case that, if you used white ( speedfit) pipe & fittings, they were okay on DHW and cold main - but CH pipework & fittings had to be the grey Floplast type stuff - reason being the inhibitors in the CH system react with the iron oxides, and attack the rubbers in the fittings.

However, I am given to understand that, over the last couple of years, JG ( who make speedfit) have moved onto EPDM for the sealing rings, which are not affected by any of the standard chemical reactions in CH systems; which (naturally)  don`t occur with tap water.