Bathroom Underfloor Heating Part P?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southcoast2015

Reaction score
Never dealt with Underfloor heating before,

A friend has laid it and tiles already (bit silly without testing first) he's asked if I can come and connect it up,

Supply and thermostat is outside of bathroom and obviously the heat mats are under the tiles so below finished floor level so I would think it doesn't fall under part p unless there's something I've missed?

Some one with a bit more knowledge have an answer?

Bathroom is a Special Location so its a yes from me on Part Pee .

Unless you're in Scotland , in which case we don't talk about it .

Or you could be in Wales , which I believe is different again .........believe it or not .

Or you could just ignore Part Pee like 1000's of others do .

But you will be fitting an Arseydee I assume?

Yeah RCD, fully tested all above board.

As I believe it's just the zones that fall under Part P, the bit I don't get is none of it is in a zone so thinking along these lines I would have thought it wouldn't be Part P.

(Not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand it)

Interesting debate.

You can argue it's "outside" the bathroom but if you do, how far under the floor does it have to be before it's "outside"

Remember a circuit that passes through a bathroom also has to comply. Again how deep into the wall before it's no longer "passing through" but in fact in the room next door?

Take my word , it comes under Part P , and is notifiable to the Electric Police .

The zoning is for fitting accessories , so no sockets mounted in the shower cubicle or next to the plughole in the bath .   Yes Yes I know ....you want the TV in the shower with you but no ...its not on .

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting debate.

You can argue it's "outside" the bathroom but if you do, how far under the floor does it have to be before it's "outside"

Remember a circuit that passes through a bathroom also has to comply. Again how deep into the wall before it's no longer "passing through" but in fact in the room next door?

Love it. Best not get into a debate about this!

For me underfloor heating, serving the bathroom comes under Part P.  Its only £1.60 to notify!

Remember the job I did recently where the customer wanted a socket in the bathroom for the washing machine, and i refused?

Well I went back today and the washing machine IS in the bathroom right next to the bath.  They have drilled a hole through the wall, and the WM is plugged into a socket in the kitchen. :C

They made a point of showing it to me as if to say despite you being awkward, we have got what we wanted.

Well the zones are from finished floor level according to 7671. So with that in mind it isn't in a zone, it's only about 600w (so I'm told) so can be powered from FCU on RCD protected ring so no new circuit and all control accessories they want located outside bathroom anyway.

I'm not registered with a scam so avoid all part p work this is why I was asking.

Ok,,, so it's not in the zones...

However the bathroom is a special location under Part P so it is notifyable.

Tiles are just a floor covering, the room ends beneath the floor
if its not in the zones, then its only notifiable in Wales. England doesnt require notification

Great system we have, isnt it?!

Well Nic EIC documents says only notifiable within zones and 7671 says finished floor level which I would say was stating tiles, carpets etc etc

I'm not for one minute saying any of these replies are wrong by the way, I was hoping for a definitive answer with some reasoning but it seems a bit murky to me

Just reading Elcsa's information sheet, it says on here specifically electrical underfloor heating is no longer notifiable so that coupled with the fact it's not within the zones I'm leaning towards this being non notifiable.

Yeah I'll see what it says. If it were my house I'd have warm feet already but always different when working for someone else....

Just re read the Part P Doc - I can't see how this is notifiable...

Another pleasant post from Murdoch..... I've asked for others views and I can not see any info or facts to support them, do you have any?

Quite a pleasant post.

I've offered my opinion in post #6

Best you call your schemes technical helpline - oh, hold on, you are not a member!
in england, only work within the zones is notifiable. zones are limited to the space above finished floor level, underfloor heating is below finished floor level so its not in any of the zones, therefore non-notifiable

Nope definitely not a member of any of the scams, but I could probably ring one of them and get the same response that someone who pays would, even if they told me it was notifiable, I'd like to know why? And what makes it notifiable.

Anyway I see post no 6 and it just says you would notify it.....that's great, I get that but Why would you?

Nope definitely not a member of any of the scams, but I could probably ring one of them and get the same response that someone who pays would, even if they told me it was notifiable, I'd like to know why? And what makes it notifiable.

Anyway I see post no 6 and it just says you would notify it.....that's great, I get that but Why would you?
Simply because another grey area and for the mere £1.60 with Stroma its done.....

Latest posts