Bathroom Underfloor Heating Part P?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you carry on reading the guidance about compliance you will get to the part which states that the person who may be served with an enforcement notice is the building owner, not any contractor who may or may not have done any notifiable work. Approved document P is just guidance about methods of compliance with Part P building regulations. It is not the Statutory document itself. I am not aware of any legal obligations for contractors to have to undertake responsibility for notifiable work, remember a homeowner still has the option to DIY with staged inspections by their LABC. The notification by a contractor is just an option they can offer if they are a member of one of the approved bodies, not an obligation that they have to offer. The cost to the electrician has no bearing on who the actual legal responsibly lies with for notifying work. Steptoes statement is factually correct.

Doc H.

Under the latest version of Part P is does state, very clearly, how the INSTALLER (i.e. the spark) should notify.

Anyone failing to understand this is clearly not a professional.

Saw a recent CU change yesterday - no EIC, no Part P - but simply a £500.00 invoice as it the "cheapest" way to pay the bill. £500 FFS, for a £50 CU bundle and a days work!

Whichever way it is written any contractor worth their salt would ensure, for their customer it was taken care of. If a contractor completes the work and then says to the home owner "your problem mate" that is a cowboy in my eyes.

Not necessarily,

I do a lot if work that the homeowner specifically asks is NOT notified,

Certain communities of people don't want anyone to know they have built an extension, new garage, loft conversion, or whatever. 

So they don't want it notified, for other stuff, mist people don't care, as long as it is done properly with a cert.

Under the latest version of Part P is does state, very clearly, how the INSTALLER (i.e. the spark) should notify.

Anyone failing to understand this is clearly not a professional.

Saw a recent CU change yesterday - no EIC, no Part P - but simply a £500.00 invoice as it the "cheapest" way to pay the bill. £500 FFS, for a £50 CU bundle and a days work!
I am already referring to the latest version of part P. You may need to go back and re read yours. I agree it gives an option of how the installer can notify or how an installer who is not a registered competent person can also use certification by a building control body. Either way the bottom line is who is the enforcement noticed issued against for non compliance.  Don't be fooled into thinking only you are referring to the current legislation, copies are publicly available to the rest of us as well..

Doc H.

Whichever way it is written any contractor worth their salt would ensure, for their customer it was taken care of. If a contractor completes the work and then says to the home owner "your problem mate" that is a cowboy in my eyes.

The point isn't actually about what a good electrician does, (I would guess 99% do exactly as you say). But we were discussing the validity of Steptoe's observation that the legal responsible is actually with the building owner not any of the contractors doing the work. There is a subtle difference between what a reputable tradesman does out of his good interests for his client and what the actual legal obligations are.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I agree it gives an option of how the installer can notify or how an installer who is not a registered competent person can also use certification by a building control body.
'3.8 If an installer is not a registered competent person and has not appointed a registered third-party certifier, then before work begins the installer must notify a building control body.'

How do you interpret 'must' as 'can'?

After looking - I agree My previous statement was incorrect about the electrician having to notifying. "legally the responsibility of the Landlord or Homeowner"

I wonder how much work gets done that should be notified but isn't because the homeowner doesn't even know what Part P is and the electrician doesn't make them aware.

I sometimes wonder if Part P  & notifying etc. will disolve into something like all electricians to be registered with a central body ,  all the scams amalgamated into...ECA/NICEIC/JIB  type thing , like Gas Safe.

How many years down the line and the general public have no idea about Plart Plee , the odd one may say "Oooh I believe we ave to have a bit of paper when you're finished. "

I sometimes wonder if Part P  & notifying etc. will disolve into something like all electricians to be registered with a central body ,  all the scams amalgamated into...ECA/NICEIC/JIB  type thing , like Gas Safe.

How many years down the line and the general public have no idea about Plart Plee , the odd one may say "Oooh I believe we ave to have a bit of paper when you're finished. "
I do hope a standardised register is started. With the JIB gratings as a minimum. That would weed out a hell of a lot of the lesser qualified people. Never will happen though as half the electricians will be unqualified over night.

I do hope a standardised register is started. With the JIB gratings as a minimum. That would weed out a hell of a lot of the lesser qualified people. Never will happen though as half the electricians will be unqualified over night.
The problem is though these lesser qualified people are only here because of part p in the first place so getting someone to admit that part p is the problem will never happen regardless of how many people will become unqualified overnight.

I can't see part p going anywhere in my working life.

You never know Lurchio ...it appeared in our lives   .    It could be disbanded.

Who would have thought we would be crazy enough to change all the phase colours ?   Anything can happen and often does .

What's a JIB grating, is it a plumbing term?

Latest posts