Cheap Ebay Pir Auto Dialer Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've bought a cheap ebay auto dialer pir alarm. The way its designed to work is once set, if the built in pir detects movement, the dialer is activated. There are contacts at the back of the unit for an external sensor.   I have a response HW8 wired alarm setup, the unit includes a communicator pcb with the following terminals.  +13v, 0v, fire, pa, int, set and abort.  My question is this, could I wire up the ebay dialer, so that when the house alarm is activated the dialer kicks in,  bypassing its own built in pir?  I assume I could just tape the pir lens and use the external connections but where abouts on the response panel would I be best to terminate to? 

Any help greatly appreciated

David

I'm still waiting for the item to be delivered, the seller just says it has 'external sensor connections'.  I'll let you know once it arrives.

David

you'll need more info. could try putting 12V into the inputs to see if it triggers but you might damage it.

Are there any links across any of the terminals you mentioned?

you'll need more info. could try putting 12V into the inputs to see if it triggers but you might damage it.

I know there is a 9v dv input needed. With a 9v backup battery.The pic shows no links, but I'll wait until it comes and seek your and anyone else's advice on where to connect into the panel.

pitchshifter182 said:
I know there is a 9v dv input needed. With a 9v backup battery.

The pic shows no links, but I'll wait until it comes and seek your and anyone else's advice on where to connect into the panel.
I'll try and post a link to the dialer, but I need to get to 10 posts so excuse the following pointless posts!

Bump!

Hmm

Ok, so I got the unit today. On the back, I linked out terminals 2 and 3, when removing this link when the alarm is set, the dialer is activated. Where should I terminate back at the alarm panel so when the main alarm is activated, the link between the terminals is broken thus operating the dialer?

Thanks

We really need to see some pics & a scan of the instructions. All alarms i know work on 12V & you can not use the communicator pins. I normally use the bell output or on some panels you can program an output relay. 

How much was cheap,  dialer's cost under £50 but i am sure i was paying £30.

We really need to see some pics & a scan of the instructions. All alarms i know work on 12V & you can not use the communicator pins. I normally use the bell output or on some panels you can program an output relay.

How much was cheap, dialer's cost under £50 but i am sure i was paying £30.
Got it for £12, plugged it in to the phone last night, programmed it, and it works as long as there is a normally closed circuit, at 0v, which would be open circuited when the alarm is activated. There is a pcb called J3, with terminals +13v, 0v, fire, pa, int, set and abort,I can't post pics until my post coins goes up I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll struggle to connect that straight to your panel, the outputs on the alarm are typically 12v dropping to 0v when the alarm is triggered.

Your best bet might be to put a relay in the panel. wire the relay up to "de-energize" or open the circuit with the bell output and then connect the relay outputs like a door contact.

I think you'll struggle to connect that straight to your panel, the outputs on the alarm are typically 12v dropping to 0v when the alarm is triggered.

Your best bet might be to put a relay in the panel. wire the relay up to "de-energize" or open the circuit with the bell output and then connect the relay outputs like a door contact.
I've managed to get it working, I bought a cheap normally closed relay, which when supplied with voltage from the bell trigger, opens and causes the dialer to dial.

Thanks everyone for your input

Out of interest, where is the best place to buy alarm relays? 12v to 0v switching, n/o? I bought one from a guy who has an alarm company but was wondering where the best place was to buy?

I would try RS components website then just use the product search filters to find the ones you require

I would not buy cheap products for a dialler.......what happens in the event of an alarm and the dialler fails.....The Texecom speech dialler is very straight forward and works with any alarm panel and costs £60....

suppose its ok for your own property to do a budget job but certaiinly not a customer OR commercial jobby......

my tuppence!

Matt