Cheeky

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Reaction score
Went to a job y'day (Sunday Morning) for an associate I know from the sports club I drink in ,he wanted an extra double socket in his hallway flush into the wall , so off I went , identified a socket to spur off , whipped the cover , isolated the circuit , tested to ensure it was on a ring all ok, carpet up , floorboards up , marked the position for the new socket , drilled & chased it out , mounted back box , ran cable from new to existing socket , patched up ,second fixed , tested all ok ,floorboards back down, carpets back down , total time just over 2 hrs , 7 meters of cable , 1 back box , 1 wp MK socket , customer ' how much then?' I said 40 quid, customer looking at the clock ' oh right you must charge double time on a sunday then eh '

FFS how tight can people be

Having been stung myself by so called mates i now only operate differently for certain close friends who have helped me out themselves on various occasions. Tis always good to know a mechanic and a welder when you drive a Citroen!

My moto is stay in :z bed for nothing no need get out of it for nothing and work for nothing.

Yet the guy would probably pay a small fortune to the BMW main dealership to empty his sump oil and shove some new in , with no quibble .

Its also a good bet that he is not a self employed bloke . Cheeky twot !!

Because you had yourself organized with the right materials, drill etc. identified an economical method of doing the job ,got your arse in gear ,got stuck in and did it without any Part Peeing about , he decides he should be getting it done for sod all.

Again , the story of our trade , all they see is box on the wall , can't have cost that much can it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of sight out of mind.

You see the pipes and the radiator,(people think there getting value for money as seeing it)

You the kitchen cupboards and sink,(people think there getting value for money as seeing it)

But you don't see the wire in the wall just the box sunk in it.(people think there getting ripped off for a white socket)

I have said it before...

and will say it again....

this trade is packed full of loads of technically competent, good electricians.....

But also has Bucket loads who are rubbish businessmen.....

Its one skill to be able to fit the gubbins, do a neat job, get it working,...

but you gota charge a reasonable price....

I have said it before...and will say it again....

this trade is packed full of loads of technically competent, good electricians.....

But also has Bucket loads who are rubbish businessmen.....

:C
How very true Specs, I was at a site meeting once when someone refered to me as a "Businessman"... I had to correct him by saying that no, I was an electrician running his own business, which is a different thing altogether.