conduit help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris coates

Reaction score
hello everyone.

i am sitting my am2 in Feb and im not very confident with steel conduit as i have only installed it twice through my apprentiship.

has anyone got any advice how to do the AM2 conduit bends.

what are the measurements for the conduit?

what kind of bender do you use on the AM2 a hand bender or stand bender?

i dont think i will be able to do much practicing at work as i am on domestic work at the minute and no sites have started up again.

any help would be great.

thanks

chris

Measurements I forget atm, haven't done galv for a while and usually guess anyway!

As for which bender to use though, try bending it by hand, think that'll give you your answer. ;)

Conduit is not used to much these days although I tend to install in new builds on circuits like oven etc so I can get away with not Rcding circuit. I tend to use preformed bends but you will definitely need hilmor vice. Good luck.

Batty

Conduit is not used to much these days although I tend to install in new builds on circuits like oven etc so I can get away with not Rcding circuit. I tend to use preformed bends but you will definitely need hilmor vice. Good luck.Batty
why do u do that mate, it must make more work, why not just rcd or rcbo it

Borrow a bender take it home and practice with some scrap conduit

one tip always measure to back of thread

John

why do u do that mate, it must make more work, why not just rcd or rcbo it
I add that into my cost as said before I don't agree with Rcding cooker circuits. When I did my training we where told not to Rcd cookers Immersions etc and its only because of the 17th edition its being done now.

Batty

That's what the trade has become

Twin+Skin

RCD

Battery Drill

Mobile Phone

Box ful nipples (In case you have to CONDUIT)

John

Theres a book that basically tells you how to bend it on the side of the booth. The metal conduit in the exam is simple enough, just take your time. Theres two bends and a dog leg. The dog leg has to be with 250mm of the trunking. When it comes to bending, just remember to use a set sqaure to line your bend mark with the edge of the former. I have done quite alot of metal conduit, best thing is practice. I have some paperwork on conduit bending, i'll scan it and post it for you.

I have some paperwork on conduit bending, i'll scan it and post it for you.
I've done this already showing 90 deg sets / sets beyond 90 deg / Double sets / crank sets & 2 angled sets.

Just waiting for Admins approval & it should be in the download area of the forum.

If your not confident mate, make it in two peices. and make them slightly longer, so you can trim them down.

Best thing is though, get an experienced spark to teach you, and practice.

Ok M, I will have a look now mate.

OP, I bought my own Bending Stand and steel conduit, tap & Die and all the pieces needed and practiced like heck.

[EDIT: I have justed approved them. ;) Trust you to put them upside down. :_| Can you re-do them the right way around please Mate. Thanks.

Hi,

i can help on this, but it would be easier to show you than explain......

stand by while admin pops in my photo:coat

Ok M, I will have a look now mate.OP, I bought my own Bending Stand and steel conduit, tap & Die and all the pieces needed and practiced like heck.

[EDIT: I have justed approved them. ;) Trust you to put them upside down. :_| Can you re-do them the right way around please Mate. Thanks.
Your must be better than me at doing conduit, not much call for it these days bit like pyro.

Batty

Hi,i can help on this, but it would be easier to show you than explain......

stand by while admin pops in my photo :coat
Eh? You've lost me Doc. :(

hi admin

ok, i fixed it:O

DSC04387-1.jpg

this would be a lot easier to demonstrate than explain but refer to the diagrams of bending previously posted then take a look at this photo. it is slightly different to the AM2 you will do. This one was in a mobile wagon I did and the dog leg set had to go at the light end. yours will go at the trunking end....

you will do it like this....and will start with a half length of tube with a thread already on one end. fit and tighten the coupling

1 - do the dog leg set

look down at the trunking and measure from the back of the hole, nearest the wall, to the wall. I will make up a measurement 16mm

Ok, your first set is now 10mm because the saddle on the wall holds the conduit off the wall by 6mm (16-6 =10)

so that is a dog leg set of 10mm within 250mm of the trunking end of the tube...

Now you cannot measure a 10mm set easily. The best way is to put the coupling end into the machine, just. put a little bend in it, then push through abit and rotate. now do another little bend. Dont worry if it is all over the place, you now lay it on the ground next to straight edge and eye it up and measure. you are aiming for straight, parallel and 10 mm away from the tube with the rest of it touching the straight edge. the tube is 20mm in diameter so the set should be about half a tube. if it is all over the show, simply pop it back in the bender and tweak it around till you get it good.

2 - do the first bend above trunking

Now measure from the trunking to the ceiling. I will make a measurement up of 1000mm. Now you will measure the conduit from the end you just set and mark it at 994mm ( remember the conduit does not touch the ceiling but floats 6mm off it due to the saddle)

i would then put the conduit on the floor and mark a "code" on it to show which way to bend it when it goes in the bender. in other words put it on the floor with the set facing up and not on its side.

If they give you black conduit i tape it to do all these marks.

now put it in the bender like the diagram, put the square to it and bend!

3- second bend to make light fitting

ok this is where it can get tricky now. refer to the posted diagrams then look at the photo againheadbangheadbang

this second bend is a "U" bend but cranked through 90 degrees.

so how do you do it? :)

because the two pre fitted saddles are on different walls you need to work off a common reference point. in my photo it is the far (left hand) wall....

first measure the ceiling saddle to the far wall, from one point on the edge of the saddle. i will make up a figure of 300mm

next measure the wall saddle to the same wall from the same point on the saddle. i will again make up a figure of 900mm

this now establishes that the distance across the two saddles is 900-300=600mm. in other words the bends are 600 mm centre to centre. now you cannot find the centre of the bend only the outside. the tube is 20mm so the distance for this "back of bend to back of bend" jobbie is 620mm

put the tube against a wall and measure out 620mm and mark the tube. next, you need to again mark a code on it so when it goes in the machine you bend it the right way..

you are nearly done now

the last measurement now is to make it exactly the right length so it is not too long or short coming out to meet the light fitting which is pre fixed on the ceiling. i will make that another post as i need more photos...

i hope this helped and did not confuse:coat

alan

Doc - how about making this a new post - it's too good to be lost in the depths. Even a sticky in student and learning?

Very good explanation and well written, as can be expected from a good source such is the Doctor.

Thank you,

very kind wordsApplaud Smiley

i am known as "the man from tubular bells"- you will have to google that if you are too young.....

i will climax the final part of this and then if you wish you can make it a sticky

as i said it is a lot easier to show than explain:O and i hope my explination is good for everyoneO)- i shall get back on photobucket now...

Hi

I am currently uploading 10 pictures to explain how i make the last cut on my conduit, to make it reach the light fitting......

while i wait for that, i may as well carry on with other stuff:z

you have seen that one of the magic measurements in conduit is 6mm which is the depth of a standard saddle. as seen,it does come into play in the AM2....

the next one, which doesn't, is 1 1/2". what is all this about? well, a british standard conduit box, also known as a "besa box" is still imperial! The distance between the fixing centres is 50.8mm( the same as a ceiling rose)

for the youngsters in the forum 50.8mm is 2inches....

as to the 1 1/2 inch magic measurement, that is the distance from the centre of a besa box to the end of the thread. i know you may be sat there saying, "so what!" well it works this way......

if you were tubing out a corridor and wanted to fit standard flu fittings up you have to get the boxes distanced apart spot on to accept the fittings. a standard fitting has the fixings 600mm apart ( 2 feet in old money) so....you would measure a piece of tube 600mm and then "knock off" 3 inches ( 1 1/2 inches per box)

when you do this, cut and thread. when you screw the boxes on the centres will be exactly 600mm apart and the fitting will pop straight up there:x