Connection of two PIR's to switch same lighting circuit.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm looking at a job tomorrow where the customer's garden is akin to the himalayas!

He is requesting - amoungst other things, a PIR at the top & bottom of his garden to switch-on around 400W of lighting i) when visitors enter his garden at the top and ii) when they leave his house guess where ... at the bottom. A single PIR would not cover both locations.

Would welcome any advice on how to wire-up the two PIR's such that they swith-on the same lights independantly.

Cheers,

JimG.

you may be able to run a 4 core between with a switched live, so either PIR will apply power to sw. live and turn on both lights. or you can do similar, but use a contactor/relay to switch the live, so the 'off' PIR doesnt get a 230v supply to it

AndyC, I hear what yr saying, but would there be any issue with back-feeding down the other pir's sw-live?

AndyC, I hear what yr saying, but would there be any issue with back-feeding down the other pir's sw-live?
As long as both PIRs are fed from the same supply then no.

Folks,I'm looking at a job tomorrow where the customer's garden is akin to the himalayas!

He is requesting - amoungst other things, a PIR at the top & bottom of his garden to switch-on around 400W of lighting i) when visitors enter his garden at the top and ii) when they leave his house guess where ... at the bottom. A single PIR would not cover both locations.

Would welcome any advice on how to wire-up the two PIR's such that they switch-on the same lights independantly.

Cheers,

JimG.
Just common out the Live, Neutral & Switch live with some 3core &E,

Parallel any lights off the switch live should work fine....

(ensuring MAX load is not exceeded)

I have quite a few jobs with two lights BOTH worked from two PIRs.

i.e. most PIR's can use the switch live to output to additional lamps,

or be used as a input (say from a manual switch) to override the PIR function.

I have always done it with TWO PIR's of an identical make. :|

which may be advisable. ;)

Just common out the Live, Neutral & Switch live with some 3core &E,Parallel any lights off the switch live should work fine....

(ensuring MAX load is not exceeded)
I can feel one of Specs' special diagrams, coming on. :D

When living / working in Zimbabwe a number of years ago, I did a security lighting system at home where 5 PIRs were wired in parallel to control 6 fluorescent lights around the outside of the house. PIR live, neutral and switched live terminals were parallelled and fed to a contactor that did the lights switching. Worked perfectly for the 3 years I was there...... and surprised the hell out of the "bad guys" on a couple of times when they tried to get too close to the house at night.

Pyro.

When living / working in Zimbabwe a number of years ago, I did a security lighting system at home where 5 PIRs were wired in parallel to control 6 fluorescent lights around the outside of the house. PIR live, neutral and switched live terminals were parallelled and fed to a contactor that did the lights switching. Worked perfectly for the 3 years I was there...... and surprised the hell out of the "bad guys" on a couple of times when they tried to get too close to the house at night.Pyro.
:DApplaud Smiley:^O:^O:^O

luuv it!BlushingApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I can feel one of Specs' special diagrams, coming on. :D
you want a picture Admin?

This one any good?

dunno why......

but some how it reminded me of you? ?:| ; \ ]:)

this proves that at tea break time you can run two parallel chocolate bars in the same enclosure,

providing they have the same CSA and that any gaps in the enclosure are only big enough for one finger to pass through at a time!

Blushing] :) :^OGuiness Drink

you want a picture Admin?This one any good?

dunno why......

but some how it reminded me of you? ?:| ; \ ]:)

this proves that at tea break time you can run two parallel chocolate bars in the same enclosure,

providing they have the same CSA and that any gaps in the enclosure are only big enough for one finger to pass through at a time!

Blushing] :) :^OGuiness Drink
Are you sure its 'tea' in that flask?!