Consumer Unit Change

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryn

Reaction score
Gents and Ladies

can you give me your thoughts on this , I am changing CU to new 17th edition current one is supplied from DNO D/P isolating switch in garage and fed via 16mm through cavity to CU in house.

question do i have to put trunking or conduit through cavity to run new 25mm cables to new CU.

will need to put trunking from swithch in garage so thought best way would be to run trunking through cavity as well , would i need to put holes in bottom in case of moisture etc in cavity.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

How long are the tails? i.e. how long is the run from CU to Isolator,

and how much is in the cavity?

just passin though... or longer bit? ?:|

Hi Bryn , I would'nt bother with trunking through the cavity myself , the meter tails are double insulated so they comply. They are also more than 50mm deep , so comply with 17th also. As I posted in another thread , I think we get too fussy these days. Someone will come on saying put them in 2" steel conduit , you watch. ;)

The decision is up to you and how likely they are to get damaged. U say the tails are fed from a isolator in the garage, im sure most sparks would put cable t+e in trunking or conduit in a garage. The decision is yours, how likely are they to get damaged determines how you wish to protect them.

As far as the cavity goes, your DNO will usually specify they want tails sleeved through walls, but it doesnt sound like they are involved. But it is a good idea even if it is plastic conduit.

The tails will have to be sleeved if there is cavity wall insulation which may react and degrade the PVC insulation.

Can't say i would install anything trunking / conduit wise.

My only Q is what size is main fuse?

I can't tell whether you are proposing to swop the 16mm tails for 25mm ones.

You might find that the main fuse is 60A so no need to swop tails IMO.

I have used service ducting in cavities on a few occasions but more often than not tails are just in cavity just depends on job. I would put tails in mini trunking in garage but just to keep job neat.

Batty