different ways of wiring lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So 23 years ago when you were sparking people probably had pendants or a centre lights nowadays and on some jobs that I have done they have downligts in every room now if you don't put your neutral in your switches or use the spider method you have four cables at the first downlight in most rooms this is really not a good way to wire this system. Loop in switches is a better way as far as i'm concearned.
how?

L&N and a pair of switch wires, or, if you take the L&N to the switch then you simply have switched L & Neutral at the light, much easier.

img198Correction.jpg

how?L&N and a pair of switch wires, or, if you take the L&N to the switch then you simply have switched L & Neutral at the light, much easier.
You will have feed in feed out switch wire and l+n to other downlights four cables no.

Steptoe,Read what i've posted earlier here, where i quite clearly stated there are some situations where it IS necessary to have a neutral at the switch box. DP switches is obviously such a situation!!!

Sorry Steptoe, but i just can't believe that in general terms, light switch fed/looped systems, are allowed let alone encouraged on a contractual project. In fact they will clearly state, joints in any system wiring is strictly forbidden unless approved by the clients representative....

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

No Batty, ....just a more convienient for you to wire them...

Connection points to light fittings are not deemed as joints they are connection points.

Oh, ....and i wish i were still 46, ...honest i really do!! lol!!!
Dear God Lanarcy, whats all this!!!! Just get the damn thing wired and lets all move on with our lives ...whats all this contractual jargon ....it'll be a risk assessment next before we climb the steps , no wonder Britain is now a third rate bankrupt no account island of the north european coast !!!!! :C We all sit around arguing whether a neutral can be in a switch box!!!!

You will have feed in feed out switch wire and l+n to other downlights four cables no.
no, the whole ethos of spider systems is a central point with each switch fed from this point,

ala, the legs of a spider, a central body with (oh I cant explain this, help me someone) each room supplied by its own leg.

no, the whole ethos of spider systems is a central point with each switch fed from this point,ala, the legs of a spider, a central body with (oh I cant explain this, help me someone) each room supplied by its own leg.
I think you misread my post what I was saying was that unless you use spider method or loop in switch method you will have four cables at first downlight so it will be three plate at first downlight that is why I generally loop in switches as the majority of my jobs do have downlights.

I think you misread my post what I was saying was that unless you use spider method or loop in switch method you will have four cables at first downlight so it will be three plate at first downlight that is why I generally loop in switches as the majority of my jobs do have downlights.
you are correct Batty,

on re reading it makes more sense now,

sorry. :Blushing

Deke,

I don't think anyone has stated anywhere on this thread that feeding/looping through the light switches is ''not allowed'' by the Regs. However, it is generally not allowed on contractual installations as i've previously stated and for the reasons i've previously stated.... You can make of that, whatever you wish... but that's the way it is!!!

I think that some maybe have confused the topic of good working practice, with being not allowed, which is not the case. I'm sure no-one here is going to change there way of working because of this thread...

If your talking about 3 phase lighting switch boxes, those switch positions would have to be segregated from each other if they were supplying separate circuit loads. But then i'm sure you would have a neutral conductor for each of those circuits and not be relying on a single neutral across all of the phases.

If your talking about a single separate 3 phase load, then no problem at all....

Can you guys explain the spider method please. Central point feeding all switches l,n & e then to the lighting point? The central point is normally a jb? How can it be wired like this now if it has to be accessible? Thanks

I thought Mr Frosty was talking about a domestic single phase lighting system not a commercial lighting system I think I had better keep out of this now.

Box in the middle somewhere with feeds radiating out like legs of a spider .And whats this copyright thing with your avatar ? Half inched it from Nick Evans did you ,Albert?
something to do with my new copy of win95 I think that Harold picked up a few weeks ago,

registered to a Ms Evans, he says he got it with a job lot of men sized womens undergarments and some size 12 stilettoes.! :eek:

these new modern operating systems.!

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 22:20 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Can you guys explain the spider method please. Central point feeding all switches l,n & e then to the lighting point? The central point is normally a jb? How can it be wired like this now if it has to be accessible? Thanks
I personally, when I use this method, use an adaptable box fitted with a DIN rail and mount it in the loft on a truss or some such like, for downstairs it will usually be nearby the consumer unit.

not all properties will benefit from this method, but for those that are suitable it is IMHO a very good system.

something to do with my new copy of win95 I think that Harold picked up a few weeks ago,registered to a Ms Evans, he says he got it with a job lot of men sized womens undergarments and some size 12 stilettoes.! :eek:

these new modern operating systems.!
Sorry,, I didn't mean to throw out that copy of 95.

Any chance I can have it back please? ;)

Dear God Lanarcy, whats all this!!!! Just get the damn thing wired and lets all move on with our lives ...whats all this contractual jargon ....it'll be a risk assessment next before we climb the steps , no wonder Britain is now a third rate bankrupt no account island of the north european coast !!!!! :C We all sit around arguing whether a neutral can be in a switch box!!!!
Hahaha!! ...just caught me in an arguementative mood tonight, if you could even call it an arguement.... :C :coat

Sorry,, I didn't mean to throw out that copy of 95.Any chance I can have it back please? ;)
have you any idea how much scrubbing it took to get those stains out.?!

sorry, we got an almost half bottle of rum and some out of date cans of beer for it,. even with the dodgy pictures removed. :|

I'm still a bit confused about the wiring lights information. I am currently in an apprenticeship, and I haven't quite mastered this topic. Does anyone recommend any good reads about this topic that I could pick up from my local bookstore, or perhaps a good website that shows detailed instructions, including pictures in their explanations? Thanks for any information.

--------------------------

Cannot wait for the day when I become an electrician!!!