Does my price look OK

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buildall

Reaction score
Been finding it dificult to find work lateley and am now starting to doubt my prices. What do you think about this quote?

To supplying and installing 5 2.55kw night storage heaters to independently work of economy 7 .

To supplying and installing New consumer unit to be located by front door.

To supplying and installing 15 double sockets to cover bedrooms, hall, kitchen and loft.

To supplying and installing new cooker point.

To supplying and installing mains pressure 3kw undersink water heater 15 litre capacity.

To supplying and installing new bathroom light.

To supplying and installing new loft light.

To supplying and installing cabling for 8 smoke alarms and one fire alarm as a linked system.

To supplying and installing heated towel rail.

To supplying and installing cabling and isolating switch for electric shower.

All for the sum of

How long do you estimate that lot will take you and are you working alone. I can't really help you pricing but am interested as I'm trying to learn from ya. Cheers

How long do you estimate that lot will take you and are you working alone. I can't really help you pricing but am interested as I'm trying to learn from ya. Cheers
I am expecting it to take me about eight days working alone but might get some in to help with the chasing. A lot of the money is the materials.

price looks a bit rich to me, a grand for materials so you are looking at nearly 3 grand profit for a couple of days work, maybe a weeks work if you spin it out, no wonder you cant get no work mate.

price looks a bit rich to me, a grand for materials so you are looking at nearly 3 grand profit for a couple of days work, maybe a weeks work if you spin it out, no you cant get no work mate.
prices will differ alot area to area. Down here in Kent/London boarder will prob be dearer than notts ?

I am expecting it to take me about eight days working alone but might get some in to help with the chasing. A lot of the money is the materials.
This is where you need to break everything down.

Material costs to you (plus 20%)

Labour costs (plus 20%)

Unforseen costs (20%) of total labour and materials.

So for example

Materials

price looks a bit rich to me, a grand for materials so you are looking at nearly 3 grand profit for a couple of days work, maybe a weeks work if you spin it out, no wonder you cant get no work mate.
Five storage heaters plus the rest for a grand? You must share your purchasing genius with the rest of us!

And I would guess that the OP's estimate of 8 days looks reasonable.

are you wiring these points or using the existing with new equipment?

3 grand profit? extremely unlikely, unless you have No overheads, No fuel, No TAX, No Administration, No collecting materials, No unforeseen circumstances etc, Probably not the most helpful post?

Doc H.

Please let me know where you buy your materials from.

Storage heaters

Where do you buy your storage heaters from mate?

are you wiring these points or using the existing with new equipment?
Everything is new apart from a few kitchen socket and most of the lighting circut. If it was me I would change the rest but it is for a landlord and as the wiring is not so bad he wants to save a few pounds.

Everything is new apart from a few kitchen socket and most of the lighting circut. If it was me I would change the rest but it is for a landlord and as the wiring is not so bad he wants to save a few pounds.
Existing wiring means save money on new cable...

But lose money cuz you need to be a bit more diligent with your testing.

what about allowances for dodgy hidden j-boxes, and/or broken CPC's etc..

That price sounds a bit on the cheep side for me! :|

Bottom line is:-

assume this work takes 1/4 of a months work of your workload (8 days out of 31 possible days per month)...

will you earn after all your costs are covered enough to cover 1/4 of you regular monthly living costs?

if not... you are NOT earning enough to support yourself...

BUT remember at the end of the day it has to be your judgment for that particular job....

You cannot give accurate guidance for cost when you have never seen the job...

Its hard enough when you do a site visit yourself and you have seen a job!

It is IMHO very much an open ended questions with too many variables..

bit like...

Does

Existing wiring means save money on new cable...But lose money cuz you need to be a bit more diligent with your testing.

what about allowances for dodgy hidden j-boxes, and/or broken CPC's etc..

That price sounds a bit on the cheep side for me! :|

Bottom line is:-

assume this work takes 1/4 of a months work of your workload (8 days out of 31 possible days per month)...

will you earn after all your costs are covered enough to cover 1/4 of you regular monthly living costs?

if not... you are NOT earning enough to support yourself...

BUT remember at the end of the day it has to be your judgment for that particular job....

You cannot give accurate guidance for cost when you have never seen the job...

Its hard enough when you do a site visit yourself and you have seen a job!

It is IMHO very much an open ended questions with too many variables..

bit like...

Does

I understand where you are comming from. I have just quoted for a distribution of supply to a new commercial building, done the calcs and measurements.

I priced up the materials and hit them with my quote.

Another electrician (I use the word loosly) quoted for less than the material costs.

So he has probably stolen the equipment and is making huge profit, or he is going to wire it like a 3 storey house in 2.5mm cable.

Latest posts