Door Closers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaccui

Reaction score
Hi guys i could do with a little help from anyone that does regular work with fire alarms, i was asked to check out a fire alarm which has door closers in the system, the closers are not holding the doors open anymore despite there being 31v (seems a bit high to me). when the system is put into fault conditions the voltage drops out at the closers so i am pretty sure it is the closers themselves that are faulty its just the fact that there are 8 that are/seem faulty that has me doubting my conclusion.

The panel is a menvier mf400 if that helps and i dont know what the closers are.

Thanks in advance Kenny

I have only seen two voltages for door retainers

12v DC

24V DC

Is there a rating plate on the retainers?

If so, then can you get a supply of the same type temporarily to a closer to prove if it is faulty or not?.......31V seems a bit odd

What are you measuring it with?

Just a thought...if it is 31V AC that you are getting them maybe the rectifier has gone in the PSU :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
I've maintained a system with 240v closers & assume there's a relay fed from the panel Perhaps you had the same & it has gone faulty for all the closers to stop working simultaneously

31v is at the switch at the door closer messured with a multi meter

pretty sure the door closers had a 24v sticker on them

i will check it out with a 24v supply connected to a closer again next week.

Thanks guys

Any joy?

Had a thought, was called out to look at mag-locks which weren't holding the doors closed.

Turned out someone had tightened up the plates which need to be left loose so they can make good contact.

Easy to check if the magnets are working with a screwdriver.

If they are maybe someone's been muckin about with the plates?

it turned out the closers are ok, we put 24v straight onto them and they held.

a new transformer installed and everything is ok

thanks for the advise guys :Applaud