downlights in a dormer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scouse

Reaction score
What is the best way you guys find to fit downlights into a dormer window with insulation in the roof joists.

Cheers

Not wired yet only just being built, I've seen on here somewhere that a 4 inch hole is needed in the insulation around the light but could this be smaller ?

It'll say on the instructions what the clearance needs to be but more is better.

Beats me that bldg control stipulate loads of insulation and then we go round cutting great big holes in it. So much for energy-efficient lighting!

Presumably mains downlights?

If 12V then the transformers get hot too so will also need room to ventilate.

Hopefully 12V are going back out of fashion now though.

Maybe LED downlights would be better with an insulated ceiling. If you really want to stick with halogen there are 'heat forward' lamps available but because the reflector is aluminium they don't always give the same colour rendering that the diachroic reflectors give so maybe try a sample before you commit.

LEDs are definately the way fwd and halogens should be scrapped imho but my concern would be that when the bulb fails (& LEDs do fail) someone will bung in a cheap halogen instead.