Downlights in narrow ceiling

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comptonspark

Reaction score
looked at a job yesterday and the customer wants three recessed downlights in a downstairs room. Looked at the floor above and this is only 6 inches thick in total - so when you take the thickness of the floorboards and plasterboard into account, this leaves a void of about four inches in which to house the downlights.

So I think this rules out using halogen lights, (customer wants to use these lights to brighten up a dark corner of the room, so lights will be on most of the time) leaving me with CFL or LEDs. So does anybody know of some slim LED or CFL fittings?.

I had also wondered about using a 'rope' of LEDs surface mounted - this would give an even spread of light, but I haven't seen any good looking fittings that incorporate these-any ideas?

-Michael

12 volt for me .. i would not use a rope of lights ... cant imagine what they would look like lol.

i've just done a job at a museum using a 'rope' of LED's. there not great! they look nice when fitted but dont look like they'le last long at all.

what about something that fits onto the cieling, but not fully recessed?

I have used snaplite in voids of less than four inches instructions say 70mm so should be ok and you do not get heat problems either and lv give good light.

I have used snaplite in voids of less than four inches instructions say 70mm so should be ok and you do not get heat problems either and lv give good light.
Hi Batty what are snaplites..? have you got a link please

a1 Spark