Downlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got to be some way of dimming them. LED's only work on DC, so should be easy for manufacturer to allow dimming control on DC side?
The 3 watt led's I have fitted have internal transformers, so connect directly to a normal gu10 fitting but are slightly longer, but not as long as the megaman gu10.

Reducing the mains voltage in order to dim the lights just denies essential working voltage for the transformer to work.

im using 12V alot more now since i can get hold of the 65w IRC lamps, gives a bit more light where existing downlights arnt bright enough. Havnt seen any 65w IRCs in GU10 yet.

while we are on the subject, anyone want to recommend some decentish cheap 230v downlights, I need about 20 for a garage cum gamesroom. brushed chrome or similar.
I always go for the cast twist-lock fittings from Denmans (Aurora I think) - price negotiable on quantity, will accept CFLs and just a generally nice looking fitting when mounted to the ceiling

aurora it is then, just I havent fitted any for ages really of the cheapish varieties, last lot i did was over 300 in a nightclub, Click, IIRC and they are still doing ok 4 years later.

I think the cost me about a quid each or something like that :D

IRC lamps i believe are the same as normal 50w lamps just with a extra coating of infa red material that reflects more light than a standard lamp. so shudnt imagine it would affect the porcelian lamp holder

i tend to fit the 240v ones over the 12v because of the amount of transformers i have changed over time but i was told by another sparky that the 12v bulbs last longer tho , i do seem to change a lot of gu10 bulbs alot aswell! (50w)

i tend to fit the 240v ones over the 12v because of the amount of transformers i have changed over time but i was told by another sparky that the 12v bulbs last longer tho , i do seem to change a lot of gu10 bulbs alot aswell! (50w)
The soft start of the transformer electronics helps to extend the life of these lamps.

The Godfather

Definetly seem to be more reliable, but GU10s have improved a lot since their first arrival.

Unfortunately the option of fitting gu 10 halogen lighting will be removed from us all shortly they are so inefficiant that they could never give the required minimum 40lumens per watt.

Unfortunately the option of fitting gu 10 halogen lighting will be removed from us all shortly they are so inefficiant that they could never give the required minimum 40lumens per watt.
It will happen but first the GU10 energy saving bulbs must improve first, come down in price and be possible to use with a dimmer, I knoew that the dimmable exist but they are stupidly expensive.

I use 12v as you get more light for your money although these days I tend to opt for 11watt megaman gu10's usually unless customer specs halogen.Batty
Got plenty of these in my house now, incredible lamps. Just wish they would warm up a little faster.

It will happen but first the GU10 energy saving bulbs must improve first, come down in price and be possible to use with a dimmer, I knoew that the dimmable exist but they are stupidly expensive.
The description used is 'Dimmerable' it really annoys me

Latest posts