Drylined wall backbox long way back

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've extended a ring in a garage being converted into utility room. The backbox was sunk into the wall and the wall has been dry lined and plastered. Now my backbox is a long way into the wall and my longest screws won't reach when trying to put socket back. I recon I need about 100mm screws or I've seen some extension sleeve thing which can be used. Anyone know what I'm on about lol?

Cheers

You could either free the cables ,if poss, and fit a Fastafix box or there are KO extension boxes , like a box but no back in them and two lugs to match the fixing centres. May need two .

sFi_ninja.gif

I was thinking of cutting the back out a dryline box but was worried about being flamed if I posted it lol. But I'll get what you suggested above deke. Thanks again everyone for your input . Cheers

Why cut the back out?

A standard DL box is 25mm deep. Just fit that into the PB in front of the deep box. Just knock out the knockout in the centre and feed the wires through. I can't see it will matter that the old box is still there.

If the wires no longer reach, crimp on some extensions. It could be argued that by removing the front DL box they are accessible, so some may even argue choc blocks are okay to extend if necessary, but I would personally use crimps.

Why cut the back out?A standard DL box is 25mm deep. Just fit that into the PB in front of the deep box. Just knock out the knockout in the centre and feed the wires through. I can't see it will matter that the old box is still there.

If the wires no longer reach, crimp on some extensions. It could be argued that by removing the front DL box they are accessible, so some may even argue choc blocks are okay to extend if necessary, but I would personally use crimps.
Or wagos.

Or wagos.
I was goin to extend the ring by crimping but wagos sound easier as no heatshrinking required lol. I've got the 2 lever wagos does anyone know if there rated high enough for rings ? Also I think the others I got from cef (cough cough) are called helicon which are three terminal but no levers just pushfit. I've used them for downlighters before but not sure they are rated high enough for rings ?

Any help appreciated

cheers

I was goin to extend the ring by crimping but wagos sound easier as no heatshrinking required lol. I've got the 2 lever wagos does anyone know if there rated high enough for rings ? Also I think the others I got from cef (cough cough) are called helicon which are three terminal but no levers just pushfit. I've used them for downlighters before but not sure they are rated high enough for rings ?Any help appreciated

cheers
The orange lever ones are rated at 32 amp I think it tells you on the box. I usually use the red push fit ones that are rated at 41 amps.

I think the push fit connectors are rated at 24 amps for both makes.

Wagos have their current rating marked on them,all be it in very small print.