Economy 7 Boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have boiler with 2 immersion heaters, few days ago one of them broke and caused my fuses to popout and this is for e7  feed, as i did not used "Boost" immersion heater i have decided to swap feeds around, however before that i have done some tests and turn on boost to see how boiler is warming up and all seems to be fine however i do not see that "whole" boiler is warming up like with e7 immersion heater.

boiler was configured as follow:

Bottom immersion heater - e7

Upper immersion heater - boost 

Im not sure what make boiler is, i have just sticker saying GLEDHILL however cannot find it on these website

and my question: is there any like double bottom to separate 2  different immersion heaters ? 

sorry if my question is silly :)

Take a picture!

I suspect the 'boiler' is a hot water tank with 2 immersion cylinders?

It's not that hard swapping an element. I'd do that If I was you

hot water rises, so the point in the boost element being higher up is that it only heats the water above it, not below. so using the top element will not heat all the water in the tank

to get a full tank of water you need to either replace bottom element or swap them

Just get a new immersion heater, and replace the dud one.

You will need the correct immersion heater spanner and of course will need to drain the tank.  If you don't feel confident get someone in to change it.

If it looks anything like

hot-water-cylinder-261x300.jpg

It is NOT a boiler, its a hot water cylinder, as said you will need to drain it first, you will also need

spanner.gif

to undo the actual element.

I even found a video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LevJBgXl4Ms?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
If it looks anything like

hot-water-cylinder-261x300.jpg

It is NOT a boiler, its a hot water cylinder, as said you will need to drain it first, you will also need

Yes I wish people would get their terminology right.

I was wiring a loft conversion once, and the builder told me a BOILER was going in this cupboard. So I provided an FCU to feed it.

When I turn up for second fix it was not a boiler, but a dual immersion economy 7 hot water tank.  I had to contrive a feed for the off peak element, which I did by converting the loft rfc to a radial and using the spare leg from that to feed the off peak immersion. It was too late in the job to pull new cables.

I learned a lot from that one about questioning the specification of a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I wish people would get their terminology right.

I concur.

I also "don't like it" when people say 24:00   :innocent     when there is no such thing. I guess they mean 00:00

The other very common one has to be bulbs. Bulbs are for planting, Lamps are for lighting.

Oh, and there is also "fire alarm" when they mean "smoke  detector."

The video is ok. Free the old element using a sharp tap with a hammer rather than a constant force that can crease the tank. Do this first. Use a proper spanner for the job not the box and a pair of water pump pliers. See how he was putting extra forces in the wrong direction?

80% of problems are caused by these 'plumbers'. You do not need PTFE tape or jointing compound. The fibre washer is designed to swell if any water leaks and seal. I was recommended a smear of silicone grease on the threads - the washer goes on dry.

It makes the earth 100% easier to fix if you crimp a ring on the end.

Hello Guys,

thank you for all your answers and suggestions, Andy was correct  worm water rises, I have gone ahead and changed  bottom immersion heater for new one, however draining boiler was not that easy i believe drain valve does not work properly and had to drain it through immersion heater hole :) unfortunately i did not find same valve in B&Q  so cloud not replace.

thanks again : :)

Don't you have to be gas safe registered to work on boilers although I think as long as you don't charge you can.
only if its gas...

but even then you can still work on a boiler providing you dont open combustion chamber / anything on the gas pipe. so you can replace PCB, diverter valve, pump etc