economy 7 switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoneman

Reaction score
Economy 7.... all the e7 systems I have worked on before either had a duel tarrif meter with 2 live outputs or (in the case of 3 phase) a mechanical timeclock to provide a timed low power switchlive for a contactor.

I did some work including a board swap the other week with a system that had a massive radio teleswitch. The teleswitch was fed from the meter and provided a switch live (80A) to off peak boards that fed (redundant) storage htrs.

It looks like the teleswitch not only switches the off peak load but also provides a neutral switch to the meter to kick it onto off-peak tarrif... I've not come across this before (anyone?) - does the teleswitch need to stay or can I request a meter change to a modern meter that switches its own tarrif?

Thanks....

If the storage heaters are redundant, then you can get rid of the e7 meter if you want. There is often a contactor with these to either feed a separate board or swap over the supplies.

Sounds like this Tele switch IS also contactor type in one

Request supplier to remove it if Eco 7 no longer required

That's what I thought... customer wants to keep E7 tariff so teleswitch will have to stay even though it won't actually be switching any load.

I may give dno a ring & ask if they could fit a modern duel rate meter that doesn't need an external teleswitch to change to low rate...