Eic or mwc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've extended a kitchen ring and going to change mcb for rcbo. As i've changed the characteristics of the circuit do I need to issue an eic or mwc as I haven't installed a new circuit just extended one. Also added fcu for small convector heater and fcu for floursecent light as couldn't get to lighting circuit.

I think eic but not sure. Your thoughts please

cheers :)

MWC as all you've done is altered an existing circuit.

There's no requirement to issue an EIC for a change of CPD, especially as the new CPD has the same characteristics as the old.

MWC as all you've done is altered an existing circuit.There's no requirement to issue an EIC for a change of CPD, especially as the new CPD has the same characteristics as the old.
id say that the characteristics have been changed totally so would need an EIC

wayne

As its notifiable and there are a lot of "non" ring mains out there I would do an EIC just to be sure.

I think technically as you are not installing a new circuit you could get away with a MWC as long a circuit breaker is same type IE B32's even if you are installing an RCBO the current characteristics will be exactly the same.

As its notifiable and there are a lot of "non" ring mains out there I would do an EIC just to be sure.
The kitchen ring that I've altered has been extended from a spur in the garage. It has been extended in the garage as is being converted into a room for washing machine etc. As it's not in the kitchen is it still a notifiable job. Most probably is but thought I'd ask before checking my notifiable jobs sheet on the pc. Cheers

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

Even if I did issue a mwc I'd still do all the ring test Inc fig of 8s etc

If it isnt a kitchen exactly then no I guess, hard to say from here. I dont do many mw's now and if in doubt always notify. Best to test and be a bit safer than not. Also no chance of NIC inspector having a go.

Just to add... If ever in doubt just do an EIC!

OK you may put a bit more info than the barest minimum requires but..

There is NO alteration that would not be adequately covered by an EIC!

:)

Whereas some work would NOT be properly addressed with a MWC!

:(

So if you are a glutton for paper work you could do ALL alteration work with an EIC if it took your fancy!

EIC = 'E'vertrhing 'I's 'C'overed

:D :Salute:^O

I thought that if the circuit that you are extending is in a notifiable area (kitchen/bath etc) it iwas notifiable..... might be wrong???

I thought that if the circuit that you are extending is in a notifiable area (kitchen/bath etc) it iwas notifiable..... might be wrong???
Yep. That would be alll or most of most installations - downstairs lights, upstairs lights, downstairs\rear sockets, cooker, shower. Basically would make the whole house notifiable.

I know it's not often that I am confident that I am correct in what i say/ask on here but page 8 of my Part P doc clearly states (under additional notes part (a) )

Notifiable jobs include new circuits back to C/U and extensions to circuits in kitchens and spec locations (bathrooms etc) etc etc etc

I have been working to this..... has this been updated???

Notifiable jobs include new circuits back to C/U and extensions to circuits in kitchens and spec locations (bathrooms etc) etc etc etc

I have been working to this..... has this been updated???
never changed. what you have quoted cleary says work in kitchens/special locations must be notified. it says absolutely nothing about notifying because the circuit also supplies the special location. as someone else posted, if it did, then 99% of work would be notifiable