Electric meter - end of life

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike2vc

Reaction score
I received this letter through the post. I simply do not believe my standard spinning wheel meter has reached the end of its life. I'm more inclined to think this is a trick to compel customers to change to smart meters, which I do not want to do. Am I right? If this "end of life" assertion is a lie, can EON be challenged?

Attachments

• EON Electric meter - end of life.jpg
    EON Electric meter - end of life.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 5
If you don't want a smart meter I would contact them and say yes you are welcome to come and replace it with another ordinary meter but not a smart meter.

As Sharpend says, ignore it, I have had letters saying "Your meter is due for renewal, when would I like a smart meter fitted, we are in your area, so we can fit your smart meter, please call to book" I had the same letter too. I guess it's a new tactic, I am wondering what else they will try? (But I will ignore that one too.)

I know, the next thing will be Amazon £100 gift card.

Old wheal type meters are definitely at end life. Meter calibration has a limited life span, I can't think what that is but 15 years springs to mind.

Ahh the good old days of the spinning wheel meter, I remember mine fondly of how on a sunny day my solar panels would make it spin backwards, I did declare it on my solar notification form to the DNO, I did get about 18months of backward spinning.

All the advantages are for the supplier. There are none for the consumer.
Inteligent Tariffs?
See the amount youre spending on the in house display?
Compare costs of using gas heating / electric heating?
Power saving sessions?
They all seem like advantages to me which you cant have without a smart meter.

What advantages does the supplier get?

Inteligent Tariffs?
See the amount youre spending on the in house display?
Compare costs of using gas heating / electric heating?
Power saving sessions?
They all seem like advantages to me which you cant have without a smart meter.

What advantages does the supplier get?
Half hourly tariffs may start out cheap (carrot) but i feel certain will end up expensive if you dare to want to cook your dinner at 6PM in an electric oven (stick) Once you have a smart meter, you might not end up with a choice.
You can see your usage and work out costs on a normal meter.
I don't have gas so irellevant
I don't wish to curtail my electricity usage at particular times.

I was reading on one of the cyber security forums that some (early I presume) smart meters are fairly easily hacked to shut off the supply 'for laughs' using the remote disconnect functionality while others will shortly lose their 3G based connectivity and become dumb again.

I'll be ready to adopt 'like a good customer' once this sort of windows 95 era nonsense has been resolved . .

That can be used in extreme circumstances of none payment, a bit like getting the bailiffs in to disconnect the supply following a lengthy legal process? So that benefits the majority of users by keeping the costs down.

but instead of following the legal process they'll just turn the meter off without any warning and do what they want. bit like the american police policy of shoot first, ask questions later

and the next feature thatll probably be built in is frequency monitoring, frequency starts going down and the pence per unit will increase from the 'standard' rate...

but instead of following the legal process they'll just turn the meter off without any warning and do what they want. bit like the american police policy of shoot first, ask questions later
It has already been on the news that they have been converting some customers to pre payment without asking or even telling them, and the first they know about it is when their pre payment runs out the meter goes off until they top up the credit.

others will shortly lose their 3G based connectivity and become dumb again.

3g was going to be turned off earlier, but it has now been put back, Vodaphone say they are going to start turning it off next year. The reason is, not only is 4g and 5g faster, the 3g equipment is bigger, I guess 2g has already gone.

Latest posts