Electric meter - end of life

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean they can increase the price at dinner time. No thanks.
Nope, I mean price at off peak times like on GO at 7.5p kWh and free power hours every month and grid load reduction schemes which I get paid for. YES PLEASE

Not necessary, you can see that on your meter. Novelty soon wears off.

Gas is around 10.3p/kWh, electricity is around 35.3p/kWh. Why do you need a stupid meter to compare.
Thats not the whole picture though, if I want to compare heating by heat pump 'v' heating be gas, much easier on a nice inhouse display and live data being recorded on home assistant. Nigh on impossible using caveman meters.

What are they and why do you need a stupid meter?
Most energy companys are taking part in grid load reduction schemes, you get paid to reduce your consumption at a set time. The last 4 sessions, each 1 hour long has earned me £35 and I didnt have any inconvenience taking part. I top my batteries up mid afternoon and then run totally on inverter power for the duration. I dont need a stupid meter which you seem to promote, I have a Smart Meter that enables me to participate.

You can, I've just shown you how.
You are completely ill informed about smart meters, the current energy providers and grid load reduction scheme.

He gets a big incentive by the government to waste money installing as many aa possible and lie by telling us they are free.He can also manuplicate tariffs at dinner time etc and hope we don't notice.
But that really isnt what happens, Octopus GO was developed for EV's, Octopus use time between 00:30 and 04:30 to offer very cheap energy (currently 7.5p kWh). Your claim of them charging more at dinner time and hope we didnt notice is completely in your head and not in the real world.

you know just as well as everyone else that the 'cheaper' leccy would be the normal cost, and the 'normal' rate will be premium
Have a look at the Octopus intelligent tariffs and eat your words. There have been times when the cost is negative i.e. they pay you to use it. It wont be as good at the moment because of the weather but in the summer there were many negative cost times. I have been using the Octopus data in Home Assistant for it to charge my storage batteries based on cost. When we get back to the warmer weather I will change tariffs to Intelligent.

Have a look at the Octopus intelligent tariffs and eat your words. There have been times when the cost is negative i.e. they pay you to use it. It wont be as good at the moment because of the weather but in the summer there were many negative cost times. I have been using the Octopus data in Home Assistant for it to charge my storage batteries based on cost. When we get back to the warmer weather I will change tariffs to Intelligent.
for now maybe. but it wont last

for now maybe. but it wont last
Blimey, you must be fun to have around at a party :):):)
Whether it does or doesnt, wont really bother me too much. Within the next couple of days I will have my 2nd battery system up and running I can then run completely on off peak 7.5p Electricity) or free when the solar is producing. If the off peak goes crazy price wise plan B will be instigated, more panels and a CHP plant.

You have absolutely no evidence that this is being considered yet are putting this as a disadvantage of a Smart Meter to consumers. Conspiracy theory gone mad IMHO.
You clearly have not read the SMETS and SMETS2 specification documents and a little while ago I'm sure there was a consultation document out on SMETS3 so they are little beyond a conspiracy theory as it is all in black and white for all to read

Whether or not it is written, we only have to look at the evidence around us.

Solar, big incentive of FIT payments slowly swirled to nothing relatively speaking.

EV’s big discount/grant/relief on purchase slowly reduced AND the promise of no road tax only to be imminently introduced/ significantly increased.

So what makes you think Energy tariffs will not be played with to suit the motive of the time?

Wake up to control of the masses it’s been coming for a while now.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, hopefully you wont get to say I told you so :)
We don't need to wait and see it is happening right now the climate change lobby being the big one at the moment where a minority are driving it forward and controlling how the rest of the population allowed to travel, have a look at the Oxford 15 minute city proposals and tell me that isn't control of the masses
We managed to escape the EU where the EU commission rule while Guy Verhofstadt peddles his New World Order agenda
And the we have Klaus Schwab and his World Economic Forum with a similar agenda
And some might say the pandemic was a rehearsal for control of the masses

Wake up have a strong coffee and look around and there are many more creeping control examples

We don't need to wait and see it is happening right now the climate change lobby being the big one at the moment where a minority are driving it forward and controlling how the rest of the population allowed to travel, have a look at the Oxford 15 minute city proposals and tell me that isn't control of the masses
We managed to escape the EU where the EU commission rule while Guy Verhofstadt peddles his New World Order agenda

Wake up have a strong coffee and look around and there are many more creeping control examples
I am awake and I don't like strong coffee, the subject was Smart Meters being discussed not the idiots you're referring to. If it was up to me the just stop oil lot gluing themselves to roads etc, I'd just leave them there, the ones scaling the bridge, likewise, I wouldn't have closed the road, just carry on with daily life. Too many do gooders around IMHO.

So Sharpend said
Wake up to control of the masses it’s been coming for a while now.
and your response was
I guess we'll just have to wait and see, hopefully you wont get to say I told you so :)
I replied with

and then your response is
I am awake and I don't like strong coffee, the subject was Smart Meters being discussed not the idiots you're referring to. If it was up to me the just stop oil lot gluing themselves to roads etc, I'd just leave them there, the ones scaling the bridge, likewise, I wouldn't have closed the road, just carry on with daily life. Too many do gooders around IMHO.
With a comment like that I doubt you are awake enough to read all the posts and do some research control of the masses is already here and very much alive and kicking. The people I mentioned while you may suggest they are idiots they are the ones who are the control freaks who are slowly taking over control of the masses by stealth
You clearly have not read the SMETS and SMETS2 specification documents and a little while ago I'm sure there was a consultation document out on SMETS3 so they are little beyond a conspiracy theory as it is all in black and white for all to read
I would suggest you look up the specs as control of what you can use in your home is being ceded to the smart meter under the guise of saving energy and money and all the while alot of people are unwittingly buying into it

I would suggest you look up the specs as control of what you can use in your home is being ceded to the smart meter under the guise of saving energy and money and all the while alot of people are unwittingly buying into it
Cant do that, too busy saving energy :)

Anyway, on to more serious stuff, Smart Meters are a definite advantage to ALL concerned!!😝

Latest posts