Electric test fail.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am shocked electrical work is not regulated - I thought that had changed with part P.

part p is a ******. only covers domestic in england & wales. england & wales also have different requirements. only certain work is notifiable. ask 3 different LABC questions and you'll get 3 different answers. EICRs are not covered by it. and if you follow 'approved document P' then you should be installing to an earlier version of BS7671 since they specifically state which edition and they've not kept up with changes in standards since then. it was also part P that introduced many barely qualified and incompetent 'electricians'

That consumer unit is not 25 years old, that would make it 1999. We were on 16th edition regs back then and a few things were different. The whole all metal consumer units thing was 2015, before then, you could get metal but there would be plastic flaps on the front most of the time. BG were not even in the consumer unit market in 1999!

The board fitted in the late 90s has been changed in the last ten years. In a poor manner, I think I'd have got a piece of 4" x 2" pvc trunking and run that along where the cables go through the wall into the floor of the above stairs cupboard and slotted the board and the trunking (smaller slot in the PVC trunking than the metal board) and bolted them together with a couple of roofers, rather than the mess of unrestrained cables, and gaps in grommet entries that they have instead gone with....

I know the video you are on about, flameport a.k.a. John ward and his welder. It might be that effects are limited at domestic currents, but that doesn't mean its acceptable to do it, it might mean I'm tempted to class them more as C3s these days though
I knew about eddy currents when studying 14th ed IEE regs ,doing C&G 235c (technicians) course back in the day so no excuses !!

70 days too many then 😀
I'm finding it hard to retire from self employment. Those pesky customers just keep calling you. I decline all commercial jobs and big domestic jobs, but still do a few simple domestic jobs, mostly for customers I have known for years.

I'm finding it hard to retire from self employment. Those pesky customers just keep calling you. I decline all commercial jobs and big domestic jobs, but still do a few simple domestic jobs, mostly for customers I have known for years.
I have kept on customer, a school I do work for. It suites me as we are always home during school holidays.

I have been warning my loyal customers for about 18 months that I’d be giving up.

After the end of June my super polite mobile message using Vodafone extended absence will tell people I’ve stopped (I have a new number for post retirement)

And similarly my email will have an out of office too. The website will kept up for 1 year also confirming retirement.

Can’t be doing with doing bits and pieces . I want to move on 😊

Drop dead tomorrow and there will be somebody finishing off your present job before the funeral date has been confirmed. I’m doing one more year part time on my terms when I want to. Just negotiating my insurance which is due in 4 weeks
Dropping dead is an inconvience to most customers, as most don't really care about your health. A point I've made several times over the years to people working far too many hours. Got to make time to sniff the flowers 🌹🌹.

EICRs have been dragged down so deep with incompetent people two of which you have had I doubt the trade will pull itself out.
Excellent comment. The topic has become an illustration of the disparity in the competence of not just Electricians but across the board of trades and professions. The rules are written by professionals/experts (sometimes irritatingly) mostly to prevent catastrophe including lost lives with legal consequences high on its agenda. They won't help keep you safe from incompetence, unfortunately, a customer sometimes chooses unknown less expensive options which in one way means risk, though not always, it's pay your money and takes you a chance with people not in the "know". Having seen things that I cannot believe some work done, small wonder if it's not daily headline news. In fairness, many/most Electricians know the sword of Damocles hangs over them. Testing has become verging of a scam in some instances for the unscrupulous.

Dropping dead is an inconvience to most customers, as most don't really care about your health. A point I've made several times over the years to people working far too many hours. Got to make time to sniff the flowers 🌹🌹.
Never hurry, never worry and take time to smell the roses. Golfing great, Bobby Jones.....I wish.