'elf and Safety !!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I continue I must state that I believe in working safe at all times and that dangerous risks should not be taken at any time ,its not worth it.

However some of the carp I hear about is just going too far.

Couple of sparks were telling me they had to work in gloves on one job!!

My M8 was asked to run a cable in for a fire alarm company . Gets to job over in Coventry, Courtaulds, 4 hours safety induction , then given Hi-viz jacket, hard hat, gloves, goggles . So dressed thus , he,s in an office full of women working at desks, lifting out ceiling tiles and running a pyro over the the top. Women below have no protection but apparently it only applied to manual workers. :C

I did a few jobs for a project management company , their H&S man came on site and was looking at my wooden steps . " There is no safety cert for them " he says , " How do you know they are safe to use ?"

"Well I've been using that pair for 25 years , I think I.d know by now "

Told me to get them certified

Must get onto that!! :innocent

its all way OTT these days. some of the stuff i do could be considered 'dangerous' but is safe. worst 'accident' i normally get is a minor cut. bit of tape soon sorts that

So guys does insulation tape work better than masking tape on cuts? ... I normally use low tack masking tape. (blue stuff lol)

cheers

Ive been on a few job where you have to wear gloves.

Other blokes did alright with it but I hated every second. I cant do anything with gloves on and the amount of screws I dropped must be triple figures!

Now we all know the truth here guys you can't kid anybody. Come on, tell the truth, when you have a cut you go to your van and dig out the first aid kit and use a plaster from it don't you. Then, when you finished the job you call in the chemist and refill the first aid kit don't you....yer....thought you did see how I know these things........ :run

there is general common sense with h&s and then there is ott like one of the previous posts.

in my current job apart from work wear and boots, im required to wear a hi-viz all the time. which i dont mind as it means you stand out. the rest is all down to what job your doing.main issue is working at height i find, however i only have a small set of steps and anything higher needs mobile scaffold etc

Word on the street is bwy's got Disney princess plasters in his first aid kit lol:p:^OO)
OK........OK............I admit it....but who the hell snitched on me huh....... :slap :slap:slap

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

I am just so surprised that HSE allow us to work at all we could get an electric shock you know.

I have just completed a job for a shop in a large complex. I had to fill out a load of forms for the people who own the shops not for the people who run the shop itself.

I then had to report to the security office the day before doing the job and show them a load of documentation.

Security then asked me lots of questions then gave me a certificate to allow me to do the work. BUT........I had a dead line to meet as the certificate was on a time limit.

Anyway I did the job and charged the shop for all the time spent in filling out forms and reporting to security etc...........HSE is costing customers a small fortune.

Ever tried to fix anything while keeping your three points of contact on the steps or ladders at all times, impossible, especially in a tight bathroom where the extractor fan is above the bath.
default_Fell%20off%20of%20my%20chair.gif

I spent many years in heavy industry. The culture there was the belief that every accident, however minor was something which could be avoided. A high priority was placed on safety. The idea is that of a pyramid. The bottom of the pyramid is near misses, then nexy layer up is first aid injuries then its minor injuries, then accidents needing medical attention, then lost time injuries. Right at the top was fatalities.

The more the bottom of the pyramid can be reduced, ie near misses, first aid injuries, the less likelihood there is of a fatality.

We were taught to challenge unsafe behaviour, we wrote RAs MSs for everything, I wore safety glasses every time I stepped out of the office along with hi vis, overalls, boots, gloves the works. Every time I had to get a contractor in there was a mountain of paperwork, permits, inductions etc. To be honest a lot of the time I would go and do a job myself rather than get someone in even though technically I wasnt 'on the tools'

The results were a very good safety record and few injuries. If you did cut yourself you would keep quiet, find a plaster or bit of tape and deal with it yourself to avoid all the witcch hunting and report filling and root cause analysys that would have to be done had it been reported!

Still, think of the 1000's of jobs that have been created in the process of making work safer!

So dressed thus , he,s in an office full of women working at desks, lifting out ceiling tiles and running a pyro over the the top. Women below have no protection but apparently it only applied to manual workers.
Reminds me of the time I was working on the outside of a building at the top of my 3 section ladder.

Builders on site tried to tell me I should be wearing a hard hat.

I politely told them, nothing could fall on me up there, but THEY should be wearing a hard hat while standing at the bottom of my ladder in case I drop anything on them.

Then they questioned Why my ladder was tied with rope back to secure points on the building. I explained it was to ensure the ladder could not slip while I was up it. "never seen that done before" was their answer.

I have posted this before but I'll do it again to drive the message home for any younger guys and newbies on here.

Our trade and construction in general can be very dangerous and although things have improved I know of five sparks who have died at work .

Sparks walking backwards with holding conduit unreeling drums of cable, stepped of the roof of College of Food in B,ham.

Apprentice in lift motor room ,jumps off plinth onto sheet of plywood which is covering the hole for the lift wire ropes to pass through, wood breaks and apprentice falls to bottom of shaft.

A controls engineer working at Kidderminster sewage works, we left him on the Monday afternoon , return on Tuesday and he is sitting behind the panels with three burn marks on his forehead from some 3 ph connections .

Fred G***** a good mate , went subbying to an alarm firm ,fell down a lift shaft ,left a wife & 2 young lads.

Harry C****** wobbly steps lurched as he was trying to test some busbars, his hands went across them .

So, take care out there , as someone used to say.

Apparently some insulting tape can cause infection when used on cuts.

Word on the street is bwy's got Disney princess plasters in his first aid kit lol:p:^OO)
Reminds me of a recent situation where I had a carpenter around the house only last week hanging a new door for me and he cut his finger, i could only give him one of my daughters' animal plasters lol!

Sobering words indeed but the philosophy of the pyramid works. Every accident is avoidable. They don't just happen there is always a cause.
Sure all accidents are avoidable, but like communism, the pyramid philosophy doesn't take into consideration the human element. Everyone's an expert when looking back in retrospect!!!

Accidents will always happen, no matter how many safety procedures are in place. Human nature will always have the upper hand, many times we do things without thinking, only realising our folly after the event. Sometimes by the consequences, sometimes by being told, and sometimes by self realisation.

You can't cater for every aspect of safety, be it at work or in your private life. The world would literary come to a standstill, nothing would ever get started let alone finished.

We all want a good standard of safety at our place of work and over the years i'm positive that the good safety procedures has saved a good many lives and eliminated many common and not so common accidents. Unfortunately when those safety procedures get way out of hand and start to become or seen as silly, it has the opposite effect. People will start to see ALL safety procedures as those nit-picky nonsense ones... That's where human nature kicks in..... We can take and understand those good safety procedures and rules, but we can't or won't understand the bad ones, the ones that take away our own responsibility, experience, and commonsense.... In essence, as adults we don't like being treated as children, be it for our own good or not!!! ...Human Nature!!!!