Emergency light with PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customer wants a number of emergency lights (8W bulkhead) installed above exit doors, but wants a PIR so they can come on during darkness with movement. does such a thing exist, or would it need a external PIR to switch on light?

And do emergency lights like being switched on/off often by PIR's? or maybe set the time to 5 mins so its not on/off every 10 seconds for a few mins?

I thought emergency lights at exit doors should be maintained anyway,the idea was if the building was full of smoke the power might not fail but you can still find your way to the exit

I thought emergency lights at exit doors should be maintained anyway,the idea was if the building was full of smoke the power might not fail but you can still find your way to the exit
these are going outside the door.

i wasnt too sure if they had to be permantly lit or not, but the Thorn lighting guide has them as non-maintained

Also, emergency lights are designed to work on power failure, not with smoke

You have to use maintained bulkheads and use the switch in the pir to turn them on

I personally would tell him to put a pir operated light up as well and leave the emergency lights to do what they are supposed to.

Seems a bit strange that they want the EM on the outside of the door?

I would do as suggested, put an EM inside and a PIR (seperate) outside.

At least that way both will do the job thats required ;)

might go with maintained and an external PIR. or a seperate light if i can talk them into it - id imagine the 8W would be fairly dim (since they are designed for emergency lighting anyway)

they want them outside the exit doors (and a few other places) because the doors lead to a roof and stairs.

Seems a bit strange that they want the EM on the outside of the door? I would do as suggested, put an EM inside and a PIR (seperate) outside.

That is part of emergency lighting regs I have fitted a few outside as well as in.

Batty

Seems a bit strange that they want the EM on the outside of the door? I would do as suggested, put an EM inside and a PIR (seperate) outside.

Just as Batty says it is pary of the requirements for emergency lighting.

You do not want people evacuating a lit building into darkness, it would cause a panic and people running in all directions.

All final exits should have an external emergency light.

You can get away with a final exit that opens onto a main road, where you could reasonably expect there would be sufficient street lighting.

do these street lights have batteries for when there is a power failure?!
:^O

Your lucky if they are even lit in my area:^O:^O

I see your point but most fire safety officers would not insist on an exit light outside onto a normally lit street.

Its a Reg. to have an em. light outside, but non maintained will do. I'm pretty sure you can't mess around fitting PIR,s etc to Em.LT circuits, if they need a functional light it would have to be a seperate one

Deke

Its a Reg. to have an em. light outside, but non maintained will do. I'm pretty sure you can't mess around fitting PIR,s etc to Em.LT circuits, if they need a functional light it would have to be a seperate oneDeke
im thinking its probably gonna be best with an 8W bulkhead and a 150W PIR flood next to it. will speak to him on tuesday and tell him thats its gonna have to be that

One thing I have done since this post was replace an emergency light that was connected to the emergency lighting in the home via a time switch, this was used to illuminate the outside steps to the main door.

However under lighting failure the emergency light came on to provide the escape route requirements. Just a thought for you Andy

One thing I have done since this post was replace an emergency light that was connected to the emergency lighting in the home via a time switch, this was used to illuminate the outside steps to the main door.However under lighting failure the emergency light came on to provide the escape route requirements. Just a thought for you Andy
still undecided whether to use a maint light and external PIR or seperate lights... but for the doors they are at, they will be rarely used anyway

only concern is with PIR, light may be constantly on/off, but at least you know when the tube has failed!

This is,nt a good idea Andy, if you keep switching the supply off the batts will be flat !!

You can't mess with emgy. ltg. like that IMO . You could use a sustained fitting which has two lamps , one non-maintained , the other is switchable in the usual way so could be used with a PIR,

Deke

This is,nt a good idea Andy, if you keep switching the supply off the batts will be flat !!You can't mess with emgy. ltg. like that IMO . You could use a sustained fitting which has two lamps , one non-maintained , the other is switchable in the usual way so could be used with a PIR,

Deke
i wasnt going to switch the power off. a few years ago i used some 8w bulkheads that had a switched live to light it at any time - cant remember make or model though (was given to use to fit for a job. sw. live was never connected, but the terminal was there)

Ah ! Now you say that I realise that the fitts my wholesaler supplies has a pair of terminals with a link across. A switch can be wired to it to work the tube but the emergency function remains unafected. They are Eterna brand, Cheapo Chinese stuff but are not too bad. They come with a W/White tube which is carp so I swop for White .

Ah ! Now you say that I realise that the fitts my wholesaler supplies has a pair of terminals with a link across. A switch can be wired to it to work the tube but the emergency function remains unafected. They are Eterna brand, Cheapo Chinese stuff but are not too bad. They come with a W/White tube which is carp so I swop for White .
will have to remember that brand name! (and WW tubes just look wrong - for me they have to be CW)