Exported earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 161.48volts is the figure the fault CURRENT is trying to achieve, but the mcb will try to prevent THE RISE IN CURRENT to a limit of 5 times its rating, 7 times for type c....COS AMPS TIMES RESISTANCE IS SIMPLE ELEMENTARY STUFF!!!!

Jesus give me strengh!

The 161.48volts is the figure the fault CURRENT is trying to achieve, but the mcb will try to prevent THE RISE IN CURRENT to a limit of 5 times its rating, 7 times for type c....COS AMPS TIMES RESISTANCE IS SIMPLE ELEMENTARY STUFF!!!!Jesus give me strengh!
current and volts are two totally separate entities.

doesnt matter how much current you have in a 12v battery, its still only 12 volts.

so your MCB doesnt stop the fault reaching 161volts, or even stop it reaching 161Kv, what it will do is stop the current exceeding the rating of the chosen MCB, which is why we do our calculations to stop our touch voltage rising above 50v,

NOT 161.48v.

feel free to re convene the conversation Nicky when you have grasped the basics,

that although inversely related,

VOLTS and CURRENT are two totally different entities,

perhaps you were sick the day the SIMPLE ELEMENTARY STUFF was taught.?

?:|

The 161.48volts is the figure the fault CURRENT is trying to achieve, but the mcb will try to prevent THE RISE IN CURRENT to a limit of 5 times its rating, 7 times for type c....COS AMPS TIMES RESISTANCE IS SIMPLE ELEMENTARY STUFF!!!!Jesus give me strengh!
He needs to give you something................... but strength wouldn`t fit the requirements.

current and volts are two totally separate entities.doesnt matter how much current you have in a 12v battery, its still only 12 volts.

so your MCB doesnt stop the fault reaching 161volts, or even stop it reaching 161Kv, what it will do is stop the current exceeding the rating of the chosen MCB, which is why we do our calculations to stop our touch voltage rising above 50v,

NOT 161.48v.

feel free to re convene the conversation Nicky when you have grasped the basics,

As we`ve gone over & over & round and round again & again on here m8.

AFAIAC If Mr Tesla (thats a laugh, that name!) wants to continue this further, I would like to see his comments and arguments; POV I suppose, backed up by some basic proof, not half baked theories & "you`re talking rubbish" posts. They serve no purpose.

Mr. T : Back up your arguments, or drop them. It`s getting tiring now.

current and volts are two totally separate entities.doesnt matter how much current you have in a 12v battery, its still only 12 volts.

NOT 161.48v.

2 things toe-rag is you have got things wrong again

1. you say no matter how much current you draw from a 12v battery its still only 12v, you really do need to go back to school dont you. Have you not ever had a dodgy battery on your old lada or whatever you drive, and when you put the lights on, the windscreen wipers go slower or the other way round when you put your wipers on the lights go a little dimmer (bit like you), thats because the voltage has DROPPED. And why has it dropped, because the ccts of the car are now drawing too much current for the battery to cope with. All batterys have something called an internal resistance, the more powerfull the battery, the lower will be its internal resistance. So once again and this also goes for you kay, we have to use ohms law . The current that the ccts draw x the internal resistance, is the voltage that the battery will drop from its unloaded voltage, which is normally above 13v to compensate for this drop as this is the voltage that the batterys are charged at......DINT YOU KNOW THAT....

KAY ohms law is not a half baked theory try using it some time.

2. I have already said the 161volts is not the touch voltage, the touch voltage is from the fault at say the casing of a kettle to any of the conductive parts in the equipotential zone, such as a water pipe which will be at the same potential as the met, which will NOT be at 0volts in the event of a fault. So again the touch voltage is the voltage created by the fault current max( which is decided by the mcb rating) and the cpc impedance.

Can you not remember the "Alternative Method" dint they do this on the 13th edition

Im not sure this isnot a wind up now cos how can you come up with the above statement about the battery steptoe and still call yourself an experienced electrician. And as for current and voltage being INVERSELY related well what can i say except Doh!

Feel free to reconvene when you have grasped the basics. I wont hold my breath.

Phew! Have just read all of this post and I must say a few things.

Nicky Tesla, why are you being so argumentative and downright rude with you posts?

Surely you chipped in as everyone else has to try and help the original poster?

If you cant be a part of the solution then you are part of the problem, we all know that NOBODY knows everything (that would just be stupid) but you rant and rave with your postings, like a women on her cycle.

Ffs mate, take a chill pill. You'll give yourself a heart attack the way you carry on.

Anyway, I think that there were a few good points made (mainly by steptoe but others too)

Be safe, be right, be humble.

Phew! Have just read all of this post and I must say a few things.Nicky Tesla, why are you being so argumentative and downright rude with you posts?

Surely you chipped in as everyone else has to try and help the original poster?

If you cant be a part of the solution then you are part of the problem, we all know that NOBODY knows everything (that would just be stupid) but you rant and rave with your postings, like a women on her cycle.

Ffs mate, take a chill pill. You'll give yourself a heart attack the way you carry on.

Anyway, I think that there were a few good points made (mainly by steptoe but others too)

Be safe, be right, be humble.
Dont tell me your another one that thinks there is 230volts on all of the cpcs and the met the instant a fault occurs, and that the voltage created by the fault current across the live conductor doesnt exist, and that a 12volt battery will never drop a single volt no matter how many amps are drawn from it, and that the reason for not connecting the earth from the house supply to the garage is nothing to do with the supply being a pme system, come on.

I have not been rude to spesh or kme or anybody else apart from steptoe cos he answers everything like he is my superior or something. He offers no calculations, or reasoned theories he just says, no its not and i am so stupid for thinking so and i cannot grasp anything or reach his so very high level of intelligence and superiority. I also remember someone else calling him "smug" back at the beginning.

So can you add something, tell us what your understanding of it all is, cos they seem to understand on the IEE forum as ive already mentioned, did you check it out?

With reference to the 12v battery

fully charged and under no load conditions 12v-13v

put a battery tester across it and induce a load it will drop to around 12vish

thats the ideal

when the battery is knackered then it goes well below the 12v

draw a constant current from a battery the volts will drop until it cannot sustain the demand.

recharge time

in my experience 4 x 12v batteries in series

will cease to function at 42v

thats all my observations on the matter :)

Dont tell me your another one that thinks there is 230volts on all of the cpcs and the met the instant a fault occurs, and that the voltage created by the fault current across the live conductor doesnt exist, and that a 12volt battery will never drop a single volt no matter how many amps are drawn from it, and that the reason for not connecting the earth from the house supply to the garage is nothing to do with the supply being a pme system, come on.I have not been rude to spesh or kme or anybody else apart from steptoe cos he answers everything like he is my superior or something. He offers no calculations, or reasoned theories he just says, no its not and i am so stupid for thinking so and i cannot grasp anything or reach his so very high level of intelligence and superiority. I also remember someone else calling him "smug" back at the beginning.

So can you add something, tell us what your understanding of it all is, cos they seem to understand on the IEE forum as ive already mentioned, did you check it out?
Nope I am not telling you that at all, I am however saying that you are coming accross as an arrogant, spoilt brat is all.

Yes I did read it and all I can say is that despite that being the IEE's take on it, real life sometimes throws you a crippler, a real bone of contention.

All I was saying is that you need to calm down mate, you honestly will give yourself a heart attack at the rate your going.

Anyways, I think the matter was resolved was it not? So alls good in the world then, take care and chill from time to time. :D

arrogant spoilt brat i dont meen to be, ive stopped doing capitals cos me mate spesh showed me how, i wasnt rude to you was i.

never mind.....so in the words of Big Chris( Vinnie Jones ), its bin emotional.

The Godfathers boys often 'export items' I'm sure it's not earths though (one doesn't like to ask)

Don

2. the touch voltage is from the fault at say the casing of a kettle to any of the conductive parts in the equipotential zone, such as a water pipe which will be at the same potential as the met, which will NOT be at 0volts in the event of a fault.
++++ Un-proven error in statement: ++++

Please prove this statement with external reference sources.

~~~~~~~~~

correction:-

~~~~~~~~~

'A' touch voltage not 'The' touch voltage.

another touch voltage is between MET and the general mass of earth...

which in this example is 161v approx!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To avoid confusion please see thread "TOUCH VOLTAGE" within this section..

thank you..

Reference source NICEIC technical manual section V29-17.

======================================================

So again the touch voltage is the voltage created by the fault current max( which is decided by the mcb rating) and the cpc impedance.

Feel free to reconvene when you have grasped the basics.
++++ Un-proven error in statement: ++++

Please prove this statement with external reference sources.

~~~~~~~~~

correction:-

~~~~~~~~~

The prospective fault current max is defined as

the current produced by a fault of negligible impedance between live & earth OR live and neutral conductors.

This is the current that exists prior to disconnection time of the circuit breaker,

and is used to calculate how long the circuit breaker will take to operate using the time/current graphs.

The touch voltage will be present for the duration of this disconnection time.

(taking into consideration that supply voltage and current are cycling at 50Hz.

with a 0.4 sec disconnection time the supply will have peaked 20times prior to disconnection)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To avoid confusion please see thread "PROSPECTIVE FAULT CURRENT" within this section..

thank you..

Reference source BS7671 IEE wiring regulations Part 2: Definitions.

=========================================================

arrogant spoilt brat i dont meen to be, ive stopped doing capitals cos me mate spesh showed me how, i wasnt rude to you was i.never mind.....so in the words of Big Chris( Vinnie Jones ), its bin emotional.
No not at all mate. B)

2 things toe-rag is you have got things wrong again1. you say no matter how much current you draw from a 12v battery its still only 12v, you really do need to go back to school dont you. Have you not ever had a dodgy battery on your old lada or whatever you drive, and when you put the lights on, the windscreen wipers go slower or the other way round when you put your wipers on the lights go a little dimmer (bit like you :^O ), thats because the voltage has DROPPED. ;) And why has it dropped, because the ccts of the car are now drawing too much current for the battery to cope with.Applaud Smiley All batterys have something called an internal resistance, :eek: the more powerfull the battery, the lower will be its internal resistance. ;) So once again and this also goes for you kay :p , we have to use ohms law . Applaud Smiley The current that the ccts draw x the internal resistance, is the voltage that the battery will drop from its unloaded voltage, which is normally above 13v to compensate for this drop as this is the voltage that the batterys are charged at......DINT YOU KNOW THAT.... :_|

KAY ohms law is not a half baked theory try using it some time.

2. I have already said the 161volts is not the touch voltage, the touch voltage is from the fault at say the casing of a kettle to any of the conductive parts in the equipotential zone, such as a water pipe which will be at the same potential as the met, Guiness Drink which will NOT be at 0volts in the event of a fault. So again the touch voltage is the voltage created by the fault current max( which is decided by the mcb rating) and the cpc impedance.

Can you not remember the "Alternative Method" dint they do this on the 13th edition

Im not sure this isnot a wind up now cos how can you come up with the above statement about the battery steptoe and still call yourself an experienced electrician. And as for current and voltage being INVERSELY related well what can i say except Doh!

Feel free to reconvene when you have grasped the basics. I wont hold my breath.
just adding a bit of smiley decoration to the reply :^O