Extending socket position

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been great all the help an input from you guys.I class myself as semi skilled, done 2330 level 2&3 and 2391 plus 17th but only done a year or so on the job and that's been all commercial so I've really got no domestic experience so this has been extremely helpful with what you guys have passed on, thanks very much
Kicking myself I didn't do the 2391 back in January!

I do hope the missus doesn't decide to move once you've completed mammoth task.

Mind you let us know when you decide to sell up, at least I know the electrics will be easy to work with.

I do hope the missus doesn't decide to move once you've completed mammoth task. Mind you let us know when you decide to sell up, at least I know the electrics will be easy to work with.
I was rather hoping she'll have moved out well before I've finished......... :innocent

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:49 ----------

The 2391 is going to be a three piece collective set so may cost you a lot more.
BUT it'll get me out of the house for THREE TIMES AS LONG! :pray

So you can effectively run an entire ring circuit horizontally along the wall then?If you do horizontal runs, does the cable have to be run in steel conduit or can you just chase the walls, run the cable then plaster over it?
headbang :eek:

And they wonder why some say this industry is going down hill......

Basic or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :_|

Mr onoff has shown you IT IS IN THE ON SITE GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go and read page 74

So you can effectively run an entire ring circuit horizontally along the wall then?If you do horizontal runs, does the cable have to be run in steel conduit or can you just chase the walls, run the cable then plaster over it?
Yes you can just plaster over it but good practice suggests otherwise. Plastic or metal capping helps with protecting the cable from plasterers trowels. In the old days it also protected the pvc from chemical elements but that shouldn't be necessary any more. pvc conduit helps with future modifications or rewiring needs - especially if joe bloggs bangs a nail through it. And obviously steel conduit is good for that and also the most protective but most time consuming.

Beware that the depth of chase is a lot less on a horixontal run. 1/6th of the brick rather than 1/3 for vertical. Otherwise your walls are seriously weakened!

Personally, I would also much rather run up/down. I go from a socket down to low cupboard level (ie below counter top and with other services), along, and back up to the next socket rather than horizontally where possible. Just because of customers' like for screwing things to walls! Yes it's a bit more cable but after having to rewire kitchens after they've been fitted (long story!) I guess I just got into that way of doing things.

And until reading this thread, i'd only ever considered steel conduit for surface mounting. There's some fabulous chasing examples on the pictures! Will consider it for the next one.

Although 15mm is the most you can take out of the average brick horizontally. With 12mm plasterboard around it that'll leave 25mm conduit flush with the surface. Hmm. tiling or a fat skim or double boarding on the wall methinks?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:20 ----------

Yes you can. IMO it saves shed loads on cable. Note there is a BIG difference of opinion on this irrespective of what the safe zones are. Half the battle is educating the public. No it doesn't need to be in steel conduit but it does IMO offer the best mechanical protection. Cables in walls that are to be plastered over should be capped with plastic or steel capping - potential for the additives in the cement etc to eat the pvc sheathing of the T&E. There is also a fair argument AGAINST the 150mm zone by the ceiling.........perfect for the Christmas decoration drawing pins or nails to hold the coving in place whilst it sets............---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:55 ----------

Not that I've got a fetish for steel conduit or anything.......... :Blushing

Sam_1593.jpg
That is beautiful conduit work. You have a lot of singles to use up? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: