Extending tails!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
I am a trainee electrician and read the forum to help me learn stuff that I don't currently learn on site.

As the firm i work for only does commercial and industrial work, i have no real domestic experiance.

I have just been reading about extending tails using SWA, i.e when a board has to be relocated.

How do you guys actually do it, i.e you have your incomer, but what do you connect the swa to and where do you locate the switch fuse on the swa, at the beggining, in the middle or at the end.

Please could someone clarify this as i can not picture this in my head.

Thanks

Craig

It would be pretty much the same as a commercial installation with sub main to the DB. Tails from the meter to a metal clad 60-100A switch fuse then the SWA terminated into that and run to the CU\DB position.

The switch fuse should be at the beginning as most REC's will specify a maximum length of tails they allow. Usually this is 2 or 3m so if you're having to use SWA then the length of SWA is generally greater than 2 or 3m. You should also have a switch fuse at the meter end of the SWA for isolation purposes.