FCU for a Boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claret73

Reaction score
Have been asked to supply a feed for a boiler. Now I'm aware of the Spur off a Spur, but wonder how this works??

Currently the customer has a switched FCU off the Kitchen Ring Final above the work top supplying a single socket for the washing machine. The wall is tiled and so to avoid damage to these, am wondering if I can take a spur off the socket underneath into an FCU down rated to 3A for the boiler?...One drawback is you cannot turn any power off to the Washing Machine without disconnecting power to the boiler as well...

As the Boiler is on a fuse and the Single Socket is fused off the plug top, would this be OK? Easiest and least amount of disruption...I'd only be using 4inches of cable to spur, protected by 3A at FCU and 13A off Plug top.

from the original fused spur, you can add as many accessories as you want. although you may want to make sure customer doesnt keep W/M spur turned off when not in use...

BRG P362 outlines your options.

IMO the FCU for the boiler should be accessible? Would this be the case?

Why not move the spur to the washing machine to the un-fused side of the fused spur and take the boiler from the fused side.

Got to think if that complies though,,, it's not a spur of spur, just 2 spurs from same point on ring

Thing is BGB says you can stick say 2 x 2 gang sockets or so after a FSU on 1.5mm so what you are doing is not a lt different except your using 2.5mm.

As it is a fused spur feeding down to socket and boiler FSU then it is limited to 13 amps so as long as the load does not exceed that then should be ok, you do need access to the boiler FSU but that could be isolated using the one over the worktop to shut down washing machine and boiler, most modern boilers pull around 140 watts running so the total load is not much different overall.

It all works out ok but seems a bit untidy, might be your only option of the situation your in.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Yeah, not how I'd have liked to do it but is the easiest and cleanest option without having a trailing boiler lead or YT2 across the tiles to a Spur. Would have been nice to split the ring on the original spur, make that a 20A DP Switch & have a new FCU next to that for the boiler...

But sometimes you gotta work with the afterthoughts that are Heating Engineers & Customers...

Cheers again!

Yep Noz depends how involved you want to get !

Always depends how much they are willing to pay and how involved you get.

Decided against the tile removal. Was a splashback with the Mosaic type...doubt they were put in by current lad who was living there...