fire alarm question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A builder friend is building a porch style extension to the front of a local school in a months time and has asked if I could wire up a key fob door entry system which I'm confident of doing, although I've not seen the system or the plans as yet.

however I've been told the door has to be linked to the existing fire alarm system so that the door opens automatically if the alarm is activated.

my concern is I have no actual qualifications to work on fire alarms (although many moons ago I did such work before scams were invented)

I'm thinking of just using a fire alarm company I know to do the whole job with it being a school and for the local authority, is this the best option? or has anyone any experience, thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers chaps

I woulda thought it was just a matter of linking into the aux out of the fire alarm panel.

although I do share your concerns about the insurance requirements of the school being met.

more info on their requirements may be needed maybe.

Hi Betty..as you say contact local fire alarm company and get them out to recommend what you need, interface - relay etc.. Then do the work yourself( save some cash) and get them to commission it afterwards. That way you know the jobs a good un..

Don't know if this helps but...

When we put in fire alarms in schools, we add an interface to the fie alarm system near the (existing) door controls.

The systems we are fitting have all devices on a loop detectors, call points, sounders and interfaces. We have an external company commission and program panels.

Some of the modifications to older stuff have interfaces on sounder circuit. However some specifiers don't like this as if the bells are silenced the interfaces allow the doors to Lock again.

As said above some get a link directly back to the panel.

We do work on fire alarms in schools without formal qualifications, aslong as the design is by somebody else you can go wrong, like steps said use the aux relay In the panel

There is no actual requirements to have qualifications. But if it all goes wrong you need to prove your compitance. (Is that spelt correct? headbang )

I install fire alarms most weeks. I would personally install an output relay local to the door.

Is this an addressable system or sav wire or?

If its addressable depending on the panel you may be able to just tell the panel to learn new devices after installing the output relay. But dont forget to address the relay and not to a number already in use.

If youu have any question or problems send me a PM

All door systems connected to the fire alarm panel will have to have a separate 24v supply unless the fire panel can accommodate this. It is generally not advisable to use the aux output on the panel to supply power to doors.

Thanks for the advice guys

I have no idea what system is being used/installed and apparently i don't need to as the company supplying the materials are also installing it for 4k :eek:

My job is to supply and install a fused spur for their use:rolleyes:

I'm guessing I won't be paid 4k lol

Some of the modifications to older stuff have interfaces on sounder circuit. However some specifiers don't like this as if the bells are silenced the interfaces allow the doors to Lock again.

What you can do, is wire a relay on the door lock circuit with a retaining contact... like a DOL starter, press a push to make switch and it pulls in and stays in. The relay on the fire alarm interface can then have its N.C. contacts connected to where you'd have a stop button if it was a DOL. That way once the fire alarm drops it out, it wont pull in again until you press the 'enable door locks' button.

Latest posts