first time niceic assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi all, just got confirmation for my first time niceic assessment for the domestic installers scheme, on the 22nd of september. Got a chap called mark haynes assessing me on the day.

anyone had the pleasure of dealing with this chap? anything i need to know or usefull tips on helping me get through the assessment?

hate exams, assessments etc, absolutely bricking it lol. allways have hated things like this, as my feelings are if i passed the course exams why should i have to pay for a further assessment etc etc.

all advice will be greatfull

Firstly, good luck. Secondly - do a search, this comes up all the time.

Read through the paperwork they send you and makes sure you have all the book, insurance H&S etc that you require.

:D

cheers, i appear to have all the information they have requested to see, just unsure on 1 thing. they want to see"check the system and records to ensure the accuracy of test instruments" unsure on what i should require for this? surely a calibration certificate is sufficient?

cheers, i appear to have all the information they have requested to see, just unsure on 1 thing. they want to see"check the system and records to ensure the accuracy of test instruments" unsure on what i should require for this? surely a calibration certificate is sufficient?
No it's not. A year is a long time and your meter could 'drift'.

You need a check box of some description.

Eg http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1346

And to record the results regularly in a format that you can show the assessor.

You scheme may allow you to go longer between calibrations if the results are consistent (ELECSA allow 3 year interval, some on here have never had their meter re-calibrated).

I will also be doing mine soon, i have heard that they want to see copies of risk assessment, complaints proceedure and heath and safety docs. has any got any of these that i could see as i dont have any of my own.

had mine yesterday.

big on lock of and safe isolation, generally do a full test on 1 circuit dead and live testing. lots of questions. max trip times on rcd, zones 1 2 and 3, office ordit, calibration and monthly tests with proof, labeling on cu is a big thing, drops a few fittings off to check for correct termination and flagging live conductors in swiches and light fittings etc.

usually 2 to 3 hrs.

cheers for the replies everyone, really appreciate your help, as this living will be my life for the next few years so want to make assessment go as smoothly as possible. allways looking for advice and happy to take advice of people with the knowledge :)

on mine he was big on bonding, safe isolation and testing

cheers, im sure it will go fine, just wondered if there was specific pointers anyone could give me. dont know why i get nervous at things like this, but i do. strange really

There have been some very good advise given in these replies, with first hand accounts of individual assessments. I can honestly say that every one who has answered go through the same jitters you are experiancing. Remember one important thing, if your not sure ask he will not bite your head off, look through the on site guide so you know where to look if your asked a question you dont know, and one vital piece of advise relax, take your time so you do it right and post your acceptance on the forum so we can all say well done.

GH touches on a BIG point. Don`t try to remember everything off the top of your head. You don`t have to automatically KNOW everything - you just have to know where to look ;)

After 8 years, I still get "nervy" the night before - I think everyone does.

Nutsy: you can download health & safety policy from www.hse.gov.uk

Complaints proceedure: NICEIC send out a complaints form with the welcome pack - thats all you need.

If you`re sole trader, don`t think you need any specific risk assessment paperwork, though there IS a "checklist" type thingy you can downloads from HSE, on the link above.

HTH

KME

all the stuff u need are on the nic website h&s and complaints procedure.

pm me if u want them i have them on my drive..