Fitting UK power sockets in European home

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHeaven

Reaction score
Greetings,

As this is my first post here, I'd like to greet the community. I'm not an electrician and I'm in need of some advise from a professional.

I'll soon be moving from the UK to Portugal. During my time here, I amassed a considerable amount of electrical appliances with 3 pin UK plugs which I will be taking with me. What would be the absolute safest way to use them there without having to go through the hassle of individually replacing the plugs?

Would it be possible at all to have UK power sockets fitted on the walls by an electrician? I reckon this would be the most practical and "cleanest" solution. A socket like the one pictured below would be extremely practical, for instance.

NX-WPMA-199A.jpg.6e2b16b07774399f5fa34fc6c240fabc.jpg

If not, what would be the safest: UK to Euro multi-plug extensions such as this

s-l1600.jpg.ff1baf9eecf4f834f6a6fa9e4e5bfc1e.jpg

or buying individual UK to Euro adaptors for each appliance?

MX429905.jpg.59f037f5eb69d721cf3ea0316a416668.jpg

Is there any other possibility that I should consider?

Many thanks in advance!

I think we need to know what the voltage is in Portugal first  Mate  . 

Don't think its a good idea to start changing the type of sockets when you get there .

We need to know the wiring methods in Portugal , no point in guessing and confusing the issue.   

I just Googled Domestic power in Portugal , suggest you do the same , note the advice about earthed appliances and sockets. 

Voltage is the same as here.

Adaptors are for short term visits I would imagine . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Portugal is 220V Ph+N so really shouldn’t be a problem for EU bought appliances.

Something to consider, two friends of mine changed the sockets to BS1363’s. Far safer than the Schuko socket outlets you will find over there.