GS38 Voltage Indicator advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir3000

Reaction score
Hi,

I've scoured the forum as i thought this must have been asked before but to no avail!

Sorry if this is a repeat!

Can you advise me on purchasing my first GS38 voltage indicator?

It seems like lots of you use Martindale or Fluke but im not sure which models..........anyone had/got both? What are the pros and cons, which is tougher? easier to use? etc...........

Thanks!

:D

Fairly certain there's several threads on this already. Look for voltage indicator\tester and drop the GS38 bit.

I also use the Di-Log, would defo recommend mine has stayed in great shape considering it always seems to end up at the bottom of my tool kit with everthing on it. :)

I must admit I like the look of that :) :) :) they also do a proving unit should you wish.http://www.dilog.co.uk/_vct.htm

Do you own one KME ?
The tester, yes.

Proving unit - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. Never needed one. The voltage indicator, IMO can be happily tested on the van battery if no mains source is available! I wouln`t recommend supplying that as an answer in an exam, but if it can display the 12V on your battery, then says 0v on the wires -I`m happy.

If you want to "prove" your tester on 230V - Buy a cheapo inverter to stuff in the van. 230V out - it`ll check your tester, AND its cheaper than a proving unit.

Added bonus - you`ve got power available if there`s none on site.

Have you ever TRIED powering your SDS drill from a proving unit?

tip: don`t bother:p]:)GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

KME

The tester, yes.Proving unit - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. Never needed one. The voltage indicator, IMO can be happily tested on the van battery if no mains source is available! I wouln`t recommend supplying that as an answer in an exam, but if it can display the 12V on your battery, then says 0v on the wires -I`m happy.

If you want to "prove" your tester on 230V - Buy a cheapo inverter to stuff in the van. 230V out - it`ll check your tester, AND its cheaper than a proving unit.

Added bonus - you`ve got power available if there`s none on site.

Have you ever TRIED powering your SDS drill from a proving unit?

tip: don`t bother:p]:)GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

KME
I fully take your point buddy, the only thing I will say is if your on the tenth floor do you really want to run down the stairs to test tester then run all the way back up ;) ; ) ;) .

IMHO when its time for me to get a tester I will probably go for the Martindale and the proving unit just because its convenient.

Guinness

Guinness

Guinness

Guinness

if your on the tenth floor do you really want to run down the stairs to test tester then run all the way back up
If you`ve got power there, you can use that.

If you don`t have power, then you`ve already tested and safely isolated.........

(I`ve never seen an incomer 10 floors up.......)

KME

Latest posts